What's politically Correct?

I can't keep up with the politically correct name for people whose natural skin color is dark. I tend to want to was 'black'... but then I've been asked why I say black and not brown... I've said African American, but then I was told that not all people whose skin is dark came from Africa.....then there is the term 'colored', which I personally don't like. I prefer to not assign a racial adjective to people. If a lady is rude at the store, I don't say that white woman was rude, and I wouldn't say that black woman is rude.... I would just say that woman. Skin color has no bearing on a person's ability to be nice or rude.... Anyhow, So which is it.... African America, Black, Person of Color or Colored Person?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• do i look black? lol, what about my kids? i just think its weird that they say white and black? im nowhere close to the color black, nor am i an african that just moved to america or something! so if im African American, what would that make the African's that just moved here from being in Africa all their lives? Just call me a Woman :D
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'm like you.

When describing a person they are either male or female..so IDK.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• AMERICAN
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It's different for each person.Me,I prefer black.
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I say black or white . . . what's the big deal? Everyone needs to stop walking on egg shells.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• OP here... it's not a big deal to me, per se... but I've been chastised a couple of times because I said the wrong term.... nobody wants to be hated on because they used an adjective.... but at any rate, I've seen a couple of other people on CM tonight correct someone for not being 'politically correct' when it comes to this issue. So I was just asking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• you will never be correct unless you ask each person you meet what's their country of origin and their ancestors' countries of origin.

in all fairness though, I would think that Person Of Color would be the most accurate since it just indicates skin tone and not origin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• most of my friends perfered the term "black" and yes they were black
    in fact my bf from grade school, her mom could only be described as BLACK!!! that woman made coal look pale!
    but i just say black, like if i were describing someone to the police or something, but other that that, they're just "that woman" or "that man", is rude/nice thick/thin, whatever
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 1:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I say Black.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 1:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2009