1cm dilated and 50 percent effaced

so i went to the dr yesterday and he said that i am dilated about a fingertip (1cm?) and 50 percent effaced. people have told me that this means that labor has begun and i will probably have this baby in the next couple days. I am almost 38 weeks so i suppose this is ok but i was hoping (and feel like) i still have a little while. I mean i havent even had any contractions or anything. only cramping more like a period cramp and diarrhea. and i am in the process of moving. by fiance has offered to do everything but i feel bad doing that and i dont really know if i should be trying to prevent labor... (no sex, slow down on physical activity) a part of me believes the baby will come when he is ready no matter what but a part of me feels like maybe i am doing too much and thats why he is trying to come early... i guess you could say im just a little worried and want to know if this really is the early stages of labor or just normal

nessamarie

Asked by nessamarie at 12:44 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i was dialated to 3 and 75% effaced for almost a month and had to be induced so it doesnt really mean much always. But atleast your body is working so far!! GL!
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 12:49 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• my friend was dialated to4 for 1 1/2 months then had her baby on her due date
    kellygurl87

Answer by kellygurl87 at 12:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• that really doesn't mean much. Just relax don't feel bad about him doing the work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Stop letting strangers stick their fingers in your vagina.
    Let this be a lesson- no good can come of a vaginal exam. All it does is stress you out- and introduce bacteria into your vagina.
    Dilation means nothing.
    The rule of 10 is something only doctors have devised- babies can be born without reaching a whole 10cms.. So constantly checking is meaningless..
    You're right- baby will come when he is ready. If you want to have sex, have sex. It's enjoyable, baby can't receive too much love, and an orgasm happy mommy is about as good as it gets in the womb ;-)
    And no, you're not in labour. Stop telling people these little details- they'll only work you up. In fact, just skip the vaginal exams altogether- INCLUDING in labour. Push when you're ready, that's all you need to know about what's happening down there.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Oh- and PLEASE don't get an induction when/if you go past your "due date". Baby will come out!! I promise!!!
    I had my last baby unassisted- unassisted pregnancy and unassisted birth. I never ONCE checked for dilation.. In fact, as I felt the urge to push, my mom was down there to catch and told me I wasn't even dilated - 20 minutes later baby was happy, safe, healthy and in my arms.. No tears. No ripping. None of that crap doctors try to scare you with. YOUR BODY KNOWS WHAT ITS DOING!!! You don't need fingers in there to convince you otherwise.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Ummm liyoness I was induced 2 weeks early and thank goodness I was...My baby was 9lbs 3 oz. and was clearly overdue by the looks of my babies skin!! Sometimes babies don't come out when they need to and can cause major medical problems for all involved. Are you a Dr.?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i have to disagree with liyoness. i think not doing vaginal exams during labor is unwise. mainly because. . . when you're in labor. . . you have no sense of time, really. so knowing where you are gives you an anchor.. . . so you can keep going. it is true that the "rule of 10" is not fully explained. for instance. . . 1cm to 5cm is not half of labor. . . it's about 75%. the trip from 6-10 can be less than a fourth of the time spent in the early stages. but. . . transition is the hardest part of labor and also the shortest. . . so when you're hurting the most. . . having someone check and say "you're an 8!" can give you hope that relief is just around the corner. be happy about your 1 cm. . . that's one less centimeter you have to do in "active" labor! congrats!
    rachelo

Answer by rachelo at 1:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i actually asked the dr about induction because i was told here they automatically induce at 41 weeks... he told me that was a lie that they tell you the pros and cons and if you choose to have one they will which i told him i do not want one that i personally believe the baby will come when he is ready... he was actually glad i take that stand and told me that after 42 weeks it is hospital protocol because it begins to become a dangerous environment for the baby...
    nessamarie

Answer by nessamarie at 1:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i cant help but be scared to death that my body doesnt know what to do (lol i have no reason everything has been by the book the entire pregnancy) or that i will be one of those freaks that dont even know i am in labor till its already time to push or even worse one of those that pushes it out in the toilet cause i think i have to use the bathroom... i know this sounds crazy i am just scared to death of it cause it feels so unknown to me even though i have studied and read and talked to sooo many people and i know exactly what is supposed to happed
    nessamarie

• nessamarie, you'll know. . . trust me. think of the hundreds of women who have babies and are fine and healthy. . . the odds are in your favor. there's nothing you can do right now. . . so worrying won't help. just be thankful and (since this is your first) take advantage of the time you still have for yourself (it will be scarce once your sweet one comes along :) ). go to the movies! have as many dates with your husband as you can!
    rachelo

Answer by rachelo at 1:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2009