When should a child know their ABCs?

Husband says 2 1/2 year old son is behind because he doesn't fully know his ABC's.

I think he is fine he will repeat some letters or say them when they are shown to him. He says close to 100 words in english, knows some in Russian and sme sign language. Speaks full sentences, sings a couple favorite songs, asks clearly for what he wants with please most f the time, picks new words and phrases up quickly, knows his favorite books and asks for them by name, knows his bdy parts and names them, runs, dances, climbs, controls ride on toys and RC toys, has been potty trained for about 1 year.

I think he is just fine in his learning... What do you think???

Jerichos_Mommy

Asked by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes. His learning is just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• He sounds awesome!
    As for the ABC's...
    "Most children begin recognizing some letters between the ages of 2 and 3 and can identify most letters between 4 and 5."
    http://www.babycenter.com/404_whats-the-best-way-to-teach-my-child-the-alphabet_6897.bc

Give a copy to your husband and tell him to calm down and enjoy his son.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• mine doesnt know any..... i am lucky if i can get him to sit down for 2 seconds
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 1:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I say they ought to be able to sing their ABC's by their 3rd birthday. They should recognize their own names by 4 and know a handful of letters. By 5 they should know most letters upper and lowercase. By 6 they should be beginning readers. By 7 they should be accomplished readers. Your little one sounds just fine to me. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think your DH should either spend more time with his child (and other children of the same age) or STFU. I am so tired (SO TIRED) of spouses who instead of just appreciating their children, see only the negatives.

(Speaking not in my own marriage, but an "impartial viewer" of my friends.)

Your child sounds like he is doing fine. Tell your DH to be the primary parent at the next doc visit if he's so concerned.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Most preschoolers (age 4) are just learning their ABC's, numbers, shapes and colors in preschool. There is not any reason they HAVE to know these things before then...but a lot of kids do, too.

It isn't even a matter of sitting them down and teaching. They learn through play...label everything with colors, numbers, letters and shapes...they'll catch on by themselves. Personally, I feel recognition is much more important to know that the "proper order" of the letters. They need recognition to be able to read. They don't need the order until they start learning to alphabetize and use a dictionary....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• 3-5 yrs,
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I suggest that you check out some books on early childhood growth and development. Your child sounds ahead of the average child and should definitely not be pushed to learn the ABCs at this age. In kindergarten, children learn to recognize the letters and the sounds they make. You can sing the alphabet song and introduce letter puzzles. Learning is supposed to be fun at this age. Incidental learning is the best way to go by offering a rich learning environment full of books, art work, outside play, cooking, singing, etc. You are right on track and dad needs to understand the stages of growth a little better.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 1:27 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My youngest is almost 3 and doesn't recognize any of them and only says ABCDXYZ when she recites them. I refuse to teach them the song because I don't believe they actually learn the alphabet that way. They just learn the song and then they end up like me...a 32yo mother who doesn't know the order of the letters unless I sing the freaking song (I've trained myself some through the years but I still have to sing it in my head half the time when I'm alphabetizing something).
    My kids all knew their ABCs by the time they were 6 and in kindergarten. I mean, that's all the kindergarten teacher at their school teaches. My 6yo is in kindy now and they are still working on their letter of the week. I bet the kids that knew all that before school started are bored out of their minds.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Thanks fr your answers. I thought he was right on time with his learning, I just needed /wanted the reassurance f other mom's. I am all abut letting him have fun while learning and expanding opportunitieswhen the time is right.

For example when watching First impressions Letters on demand.... One of the letters he recognizes and says before they say it is D... They show some D words and sometimes I will add to them. Ie: It is DARK outside, Dark begins with D or Aunt Donna's name begins with D, D DONNA.

I always emphasize that J is for Jericho and just today when J finished he said 'and Jericho'.

I will keep enjoying and having fun watching my little guy learn.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 5:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009