We just adopted a puppy a week ago and she is a border collie mix I think?

I haven't taken to the vet yet..she is like 7 or 8 wks old. But how do I know if she is a mix and with what breed? She is short haired,white with black around ears and eyes and black tail with white tip, black back with white in paws and white in the inside chest/stomach part..Just wanted to know to have an idea how big she is going to get..would like for her to be an inside dog..Any clue?

my4kids123

Asked by my4kids123 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pets

• there is no way of knowing what exact breeds she is. I'd ask the vet their opinion but that's still just going to be an opinion.

the characteristics you listed fit tons of breeds of dogs BTW
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• you could try the akc (american kennel club) website. other than that your best bet is to check and see if your vet has any ideas :)
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• We have a Border Collie. Black and White markings.
    Inside dog, great with kids, can be very protective and energetic.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Your best bet is to ask the vet, in all honesty. The border collies (and border collie mixes) I've known have all been slightly to very neurotic. They ARE very good with kids and protective, but can be neurotic.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I saw on Rachel Ray that they have DNA tests for dogs now. The shelters are using them to help place dogs with the right owners. They can pinpoint the EXACT mixture of breeds, or pretty close to exact. go to www.wisdompanel.com it tells you more about it. I guess you might be able to get it done at the vets.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 5:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• PetCo now offers those DNA tests... there's over 100 breeds the blood is tested against, it may be something worth looking into!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2009