babysitting prices

I just got done watching an 8 yr old boy and 3 yr old girl. What do you pay or charge for someone to watch your kids. Is it a flat rate or by the hour. How much for more than one child. I haven't sat for anyone in a long time and usually I do it for free for my friends. The person I sat for just gave me a 40 for 2 kids for 4 hours they were very good and I told her that was to much. She said next time I come to state my price either flat rate or per hour. So please help me!

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• i pretty much just did it by how good the kids were and how many they are. my daughter is almost four months and her babysitter asked for $5 an hour, so i consider myself lucky lol, my friend natalie pays her babysitter $10
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 2:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My daughters are 4 and 7. One sitter charges $10/hr and our other sitter charges $7/hr. We usually go with the $7/hr because when we go out at night it's after the kids are in bed.
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 2:10 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I pay $25 a day for one child at a liscensed daycare provider, that also includes meals and snacks. My provider does lower the rate for each extra child but I am not sure how much. When I babysat about 6 years ago I charged $2 an hour,
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I was struggling with the same problem....sort of. We are looking for a responsible teenager, (or anyone) to watch our 2 children once in a while. My children are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2. The people we talked to wanted almost 15 per hour, no matter the time of day, (sleeping, etc). I thought that was kind of high, so we are still in the looking process.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'm too cheap and broke to pay that much. I have three girls, and if we go out (from say 6-12) I would pay $40. If it's all day - like when I have to work and they have a day off - it's $40. That's all I can afford!
    I don't think keeping my 3 is that much more work than someone watching 1 or 2. Actually, it may be easier, because my 11 year old takes care of nearly everything. I just can't let her babysit or they would fight!
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 2:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think it depends on where you live. I'm in a big city, some qualified, cpr certified, background checked nannies charge anywhere from $15-25 an hour. I try for responsible college kids and usually pay $11 an hour which still makes me mad because it's tax free, easy and my kids are good and usually asleep most of the time.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think it definitly depends on where you live. Supply and demand determine the prices of everything in our society. I found some info on www.lookingforasitter.com.
    Supermom1944

Answer by Supermom1944 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I pay my sitter $10 an hour, for my two year old daughter...
    HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 7:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009