Why does my cat bite me in the face?

My cat (kitten - 3 mos old) cuddles up around my neck the for no reason will just reach out and sink his teeth into my face. Sometimes, he just holds on.... not really biting hard enough to break skin, but it still hurts... This is our first cat. Anyone know why they bite? He's not being mean I don't think because when I tell him no, he settles down and keep right on purring. But he's just as likely to reach up and do it again.

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 2:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Believe it or not, these are called love bites. They are telling you they love you, just as the kneeding motion is love/hugs.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 11:47 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• i know what you mean my cat does the same thing and she;s about 5 months now.. and i am not understanding why.. hopefully someone says something good! i'll be looking1 lol.. :D how are you?
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• probably just being young and playful. my cats one and he still does it but he uses his claws too lol
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 2:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Maybe trying to nurse? Especially if you have long sleeves on, the face may seem a good place to give it a try. Either that or wanting to play. Tell them No and give their ears a flick like their mom would do.

Answer by Bmat at 11:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2009