what is group b strep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• an infection often found in vagina or rectum.rarely causes problems in adults but can be life-threatening in newborns.
    momangel05

Answer by momangel05 at 2:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/groupbstrepinfection.html

That link should tell you all you need to know.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• alot of women get it if your asking because you have it you have to be on antibiotics throughout your labor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• group b beta hemolytic strep is found in the peri rectal area of about 33% of woman as normal flora. it isnt a concern unless you are pregnant. if you have a flare up of strep b during birth or while the waters are broken it can cause severe infection s in the newborn including menegitis, blindness, sepsis and death.
    the only other time it is clinically significant is in the urinary tracts of elderly people where it can cause UTIs.
    5ontherock

Answer by 5ontherock at 6:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I was just told I got this and they will be giving me antibiotics during labor.. Kinda scared me at first but I'm okay now
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 1:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2009