Ideas for a hobby

I have extra time lately and want to do something fun, don't really have alot of money to do alot, I have always wanted to crochet, or sew or something like that but I don't know how to get started

madismama

Asked by madismama at 12:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If you have a JoAnne's Fabric, a Michaels' Craft store or a Hobby Lobby near you they all offer classes in knitting, sewing, scrap booking, etc. most of them are either free (you pay for materials) or at a really low cost. Another avenue is a local recreation center or check craigslist for your area under barter or services.
    TTMTC

Answer by TTMTC at 12:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• 1st there is a "How To" book at Wal-mart that has needles in it, and pick up some yarn while you are there. 2nd there are always some older ladies at church that are always happy to help. 3rd contact the Navy-Marine Corp Relief Soc. they will give you yarn to make baby layettes. you turn in the layettes and they keep track of the hours and give you little "prizes"... I have over 3,000 hours. I love to knit and the layettes are given out to the families with little ones coming home. It is called their "1st issue of clothing". The program is for E-4 and below.
    dancelinemom

Answer by dancelinemom at 4:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Go to Michael's (or Wal-Mart) and buy a "how to" book. I taught myself to crochet from a book called "10-20-30 minutes to Crochet"... it's a simple book w/ great illustrations.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• what about photography? you dont need a nice camera, and if u have a digital one, you can use free webstes like picasa to edit them and make them all artsy
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Call your local Jo-ann fabrics or Michaels, they always offer classes on sewing and other hobbies. I'm thinking of taking a cake decorating class, but since I'm going to be homeschooling in just over a month, I don't know if I'll have time!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• If all else fails jsut got to a book store (hastings, Barnes and Noble, etc) and browse around in their craft/hobby section. I went there the other day to get some crochet pattern books and saw all kinds of crafty things I thought would be neat. There is always how-to books there. Who knows you might find a hobby you never knew about!
    Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 9:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I would highly suggest scrapbooking. It can be very simple or very complex depending on your desires. It's a great way to relax and socialize with other woman. My best friend is an instructor and we get together to scrap as often as time and families allow us to. If interested in joining us let me know. thanks
    crzybch

Answer by crzybch at 12:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2008

• I recommend digital scrapbooking. There's tons of stuff available that's free, even software. http://scrapgirls.com has freebies in their daily newsletter and lots of inspiration! There's a group here at cafe mom called digital scrapbooking that you can join: http://www.cafemom.com/group/11970.
    penelope.simon

Answer by penelope.simon at 5:02 PM on Aug. 17, 2008

• I found a hobby in stained glass, and love it, it's nice to see things take shape, and it is quiet time for me after the kids go to bed...it's not too expensive to start, and I love it. Check out Delphiglass.com,,they are awesome..Glassgardener
    GlassGardener

Answer by GlassGardener at 10:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• if you have a sewing machine--.you can take pillowcases,old t-shirts or a stained top sheet and turn it into a quilt.you can take teabags andnaturally die out the stains or darker fabric. stencil or free hand a design-make that your top quilt piece.Make sure your bottom piece of your quilt matches the top in size.find an old blanket (has to be thin,tho) Use that in the center.Yard sales have tons of fabric scraps,every week my mom and i add to our collection on the cheap.if you have an imagination you can turn anything into a quilt.we've made tshirt quilts before. they turn out beautiful! You don't have to make it perfect to turn it into something nice.
    You can also get cheap furniture at yard sales. google --how to decoupage.i did that w/some butterflies,a dresser,chest and 2 end tables.None of this furniture cost more than $15 and looks pretty,while giving you a unique new hobby. Good luck and i hope this helps!
    karrey

Answer by karrey at 7:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2009