• In the Spotlight:

What is the difference between a D.O. and an M.D.??

megmckn

Asked by megmckn at 5:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Health

• A D.O. is a "Dotor of Osteopathic Medicine" They are trained just like regular doctors, but also know skeletal manipulation techniques(think chiropractor). I had a family doc who was a D.O. He did everything like normal, but when I had back pain, for example, he would always perform a manipulation to ease the pain before prescribing any medication.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 5:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I had an RN tell me that an MD knew more than a DO
    Momoftwo278

Answer by Momoftwo278 at 6:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• mamapotter said it all. I've had both MD and DO, medically speaking, they all were great doctors. But, the DO's would always adjust my back, neck and hips whenever I would have problems. The MD would prescribe pills or suggest I see a chiropractor.
    Now, whenever I need to search for a new doctor, I look for a DO.
    jcsg

Answer by jcsg at 7:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I've found my OB/GYN D.O far easier to talk to and ask questions than the M,D's and Nurses! My DO has a MUCH nicer personality, a nicer "bedside manner," and was more informative (took the time to answer my "silly" questions and give detailed explanations including alternative treatments).

My DO has a more "conservative" approach to surgery and medication, which I agree with!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2009