Allergic to Dreft?

About 10 days ago, I broke out in a terrible rash. I thought it was from a load of clothes I did with Oxiclean. I'd done a few items of my clothing in a load of my sons clothes with Dreft around the same time. Now, he's broken out in a very similar rash. Is it possible that we're both allergic to Dreft? I know that the detergent is not actually dye- or fragrance-free as some people claim.

Thanks!

AlyKen

Asked by AlyKen at 5:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmmmm, How long have you used dreft? If you just started, it is a possibility. If he has used it a while, then Idk. Maybe it is a virus. But allergies to anything is possible. Maybe try 2 rinses.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 5:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• If it was a virus, it would also be on his face, groin, butt and hands.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 6:26 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• A viral rash can be localized. Not often, but it can be. (personal experience on that one)

Try two rinses as mentioned above. That should help. Once the rash clears up, you could (but obviously don't have to) putting something back on him washed (one rinse) in Dreft and see what happens. Either way...switch to a regular detergent for sensitive skin. It's cheaper!!

The rash....was it only where clothes touched his body (and yours for that matter)? If there as no rash in the diaper area, only where clothes are touching him, it's probably contact from the clothes washed in Dreft. (but then if you cloth diaper.....)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Or maybe try the ivory snow. is there an ingredients list - you can compare a bunch of detergents..... I can't believe this is happening to him!! could it be a certain material, like polyester?
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 7:23 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Are you using the powder or liquid form of the detergent? I have learned that I can't use powders with my clothes, as I break out in hives. You could try switching to liquid. Or if thats not the case, you could try Tide's no fragrance, no dies, no whatever it is detergent. I have heard of a lot of people using that for their babies (and for you in this case).
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Sure. It has a scent, and a color, so it can irritate you. I use free and clear detergent.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Just a thought... Are you using dryer sheets? They have fragrance that could be irritating.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 9:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My daughter had a similar problem...use All Baby and always do two rinses with every load
    brandizmomma

Answer by brandizmomma at 11:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You should try an all natural approach. I really like Seventh Generation laundry detergant.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 25, 2009