Choosing your Pantheon (Paganism)

How did you choose your Pantheon? What pulled you to them?

I went to a workshop yesterday on choosing a pantheon. I personally have never chosen one. I always for it to be very overwhelming.

The instructor of this workshop was talking the different ways to connect to your pantheon (start with something that is either of interest to you, look for cultural connections, a place (either geographically or within time) that pulls to you, etc)...

When she said the last something struck me. I have almost an obsession with Ireland and all things Irish, the country itself pulls at my heartstrings...I always have, long before I realized I was truly Pagan.

I've decided to run with this idea. So my question...

Can you recommend any good websites/books on Celtic Gods/Goddesses?

Thanks so much.

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 6:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Try http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/celtic-mythology.php?deity=DAGDA. They tend to be a bit irrereverent but its pretty easy to understand and a good place to start.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 8:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Thanks mama.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:08 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• bump
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 4:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Good Luck researching and becoming closer to them.

I couldnt chose one. I have been obsessed with the Greek Gods since I was a child but the Egyptian pantheon has fascinated me for years so I couldnt just pick one or the other.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I still can't choose one. I love the Greeks but I am interested in the Celtic Gods as well. Maybe we could all learn together.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:01 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Back when I was dedicated I chose a pantheon based on my ancestry (Irish), but later I was more drawn to the symbology in Hindu and Buddhist mythology.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 2:00 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I have never really seen the purpose of choosing a pantheon for my own practice...I'm a panthiest, I see specific dieties as archetypes with unique mythologies connected to the culture that created them. Even so, I find working with the archetypes to be quite useful, and generally prefer the Greek and Celtic and occasionally Norse dieties.

I think I'm going to cry...my favorite book list to recommend (they had extensive Celtic info, as that was their area of interest) disappeared, along with their entire website...

So, I'll have to dig thru my "Thumbdrive of Shadows" (lol) and see what I can find...

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 7:37 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Celtic Mythology--Proinsias MacCana
    Mythic Ireland--Michael Dames
    Celtic Gods and Heroes-- Marie-Louise Sjoestedt
    The Mabinogi and Other Medieval Welsh Tales--Patrick Ford (recommended to read with the below book)
    Mabon and the Mysteries of Britain: An Exploration of the Mabinogion--Caitlin Matthews
    The Druids: A Brief History,
    Celtic Myths and Legends,
    The Celts: A History--all by Peter Berresford Ellis (awesome author)
    Celtic Goddesses: Warriors, Virgins and Mothers,
    The Gods of the Celts,
    Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend,
    The Celtic World--all by Miranda Green (awesome author)
    The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual--Alexi Kondratiev
    A Circle of Stones: Journeys and Meditations for Modern Celts--Erin Rowan Laurie
    Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles--Ronald Hutton

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:12 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• Ah ha "The celtic world" I have been trying to remember the name of that book for a long time. I found it on a google search and the reviews were great. Silly me I forgot to book mark the page.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I'm a Cafeteria Pagan...

I like to pick and choose god(dess)(s) from a variety of different pantheon.

But that's me.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2009