Is kitten getting enough milk?

i have a kitten that was born today,it's mom put it to the side and won't take care of it. i have another cat that had kittens about 5 weeks ago she is letting this kitten nurse.my question is with these other kittens being so much bigger and there are 5 of them should i worry about this kitten getting enough milk or should i just let it be?

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 15, 2012 in Pets

• Spay and neuter your cats.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 7:57 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• with 6 kittens total there should be enough teets for all of them so I would not worry too much. However if the older kitten are 5 weeks the mom may start leaving the box for extended time periods ( an hour or more) soon and the kitten will need to be supplemented during that time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:00 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• listen i didn't ask that.i originally had no animals i took these cats in after a neighbor moved out and left them.i would love to get them fixed but that cost money i don't have.
    kb24

Comment by kb24 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• But I do agree that is an awful lot of kittens... you should spay the moms when they are done nursing because they will get pregnant again right away.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:01 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• You should be able to find a low cost spay/neuter clinic. Most places have several.
    Anonymous

• If the mom pushed it out, alot of times its because something is "wrong" with it and the mother senses it.. Watch the kitten close, it may not survive.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:04 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• I agree with mmidnightmoma... that's what I was thinking.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:11 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• Damn it, I can't find the statistics of how many cats are killed in shelters each year. It's in the multiple millions, though. Thanks for contributing to that!
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 8:15 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• If the other cat is willing to nurse, I would let it be unless you can see that the kitten is not growing. I don't know if cats are the same as other animals, but you may also want to stimulate its abdomen so that it will poop so it doesn't have issues that way. The mom usually does that, but if she is rejecting the kitten, I would worry a bit.

Does the cat who IS nursing the kitten doing a good job with it? Treating it as her own? Letting the kitten nurse as often as it wants? Licking the kitty's belly or grooming it?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:19 PM on Apr. 15, 2012

• If the other cat is willing to nurse the kitten I would let her. But if you are not sure the kitten is getting enough milk you should get some KMR so that the kitten will have nourishment. Also watch to make sure that mama cat is sticking around because the kitten needs the body heat so if she does start taking off for longer periods I would have a heating pad ready for the kitten.  

As other have said please get the mama's spayed as soon as you can. Look for low cost clinics in your area.  We have about 6 an hour and half from me and 1 close to me.  I get a lot of strays that come through my neighborhood and it costs me $35 for females and $25 for males. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:20 AM on Apr. 16, 2012