my 3rd yrs old has loss stool-PLEASE Help ME

My son woked up this morning with loss stools..last night it started he started the loss stools.
i'm thinking he caught it from me because i think i had the stomach bug, throwing up and having loss stools. you think my son caught it from me?
what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• #1 make sure he doesn't dehydrate. Don't give him any solid foods, just liquids. He most likely did catch it from you. NO milk products. Keep him comfortable and let him rest
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• As much liquids as possible. Even if he doesn't want much get him to sip every half hour or so, just keep going with them until they stop. Good Luck, I hope they go off soon!
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 7:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Your main concern is to keep him from dehydrating. If diarrhea has nausea, encourage him to suck on ice chips. Use the "Brat Diet" banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Good Luck!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• best thing ever for a dicky tummy is coca cola, not the cheap brand but the real name brand. it kills anything in its path. lots of small sips thruout the day and pain will go with the trots over the course of the day. seriously, do it.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 8:18 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Actually they say don't use the BRAT diet anymore. If he is willing to eat what he normally does but not as much, let him. Just stay away from dairy. Keep giving him liquids like cola, ginger-ale and even gatorade and not just plain water. Don't give him kids pepto either because it can make his stool darker and if he were to have blood in it, it will be hard to tell. It can last up to a week. Any signs of dyhyration call your pedi. My son just went through this last week.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Watch for fever over 100 degrees and being lethargic. Gatorade is good to keep potassium in the body to prevent dehydration. If it continues throughout the day I believe I would check with the pediatrician for recommendations for over the counter treatments. I probably took my children to the pediatricain too often when they were little, but it was worth it for peach of mind! Small children can dehydrate very quickly.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 12:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• If he's only having loose stools, keep giving him food. Starches and carbs to help bulk him up...breads, pastas, bananas, rice, applesauce, potatoes, etc...let him eat what he wants.

If there is a food/drink that usually makes him looser, don't let him have it.

Steer clear of liquids with sugar in them...juice, gatorade, pedialyte, etc...stick with milk and water at this point...if he starts throwing up, the treatment changes....

Keep an eye on him for dehydration, continue giving him his normal drinks (other than the sugary ones). If he starts to become dehydrated, call your pediatrician.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• If he starts throwing up, cut out all solid food and give only water...after waiting for at least 2 hours.

Wait for 2 hours after him throwing up and then offer a couple ounces of water. If that stays down for 10 minutes, then offer a couple more. If that stays down for 10 minutes, then offer about 4oz and wait for 20 minutes...then 4 more and 20 more minutes. If after that time it has all stayed down, let him have a glass of WATER and drink it slowly as he can tolerate.

If the throws up the water, start over again waiting for 2 hours. It's to give the stomach a chance to rest and settle down.

If after 6 hours he has kept all the water down, then offer something bland. If he throws that up, start back at the beginning...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Pedialite and juice are best and if he starts looking pale, carry him to his doctor!!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 6:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2009