T.V. and babies???

Just wondering ehat your thoughts are on babies and tv??? I am very reluctant to let my 6 month old son watch any tv. We received several "Baby Einstein' vidoes but I am still not convinced that these are good for them...

SuzannaJ

Asked by SuzannaJ at 7:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We don't allow our daughter to watch any tv. The shows made for kids are only there to sell them products. Read this article. I think many people use the tv as a babysitter and it's so sad.  My good friend is a Kindergarten teacher and she sends a survey home with her kids during the first week of school each year and one of the questions is: How much television does your child watch per day?  Before she even gets the surveys back, she can already tell which kids watch tv and which don't, because their behavior/vocabularies are so strikingly different.

StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• u know iwas the same with my first child, anti tv etc as i didnt even own a set , however come baby no, 2 in two years and i chose tv as adistraction occassionally sotat i cud on with cooking or housekeeping. babyeinsteiin are brilliant and i play them for my three years old still and my two year old loves watching babies and dances to the music. tv is a way of life but its up to us how much of a crutch it becomes. just put it in and try it out, you can alweays baktrak. dont be too hard on yourself.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 8:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I use my Baby Einstein for a couple purposes. To have sex with hubby and to make dinner if watching me wont occupy her. I tell people Baby Einstein saved our marriage because otherwise we would never have had more than 15 minutes alone!
    I think it's okay as long as youre not sitting them down for hours (like they could sit that long) and it also depends on what they are watching.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 8:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It depends on what you let them watch. My older son is in school and I have a three year old and a 16 month at home. We watch Disney and PBS. My kids love it and my baby will shake and dance with the music. My son sings with them. These programs are not there to just entertain but teach as well. They need some variety too besides playing with their toys and mommy.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:18 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• While I was preg, I was sooo anti-tv. My baby is still only 3 1/2 wks old but I still do not plan on letting her watch very much tv. However, even at this early age, if I am watching tv and I have her in my lap, she's entertained! Lol I think it's cute and maybe she is just staring at the bright light. But I think it's awesome. As for an older age, I have no idea. My MIL gave us a bunch of newborn baby Einstein DVDs and I have yet to put one in. I just don't know about it.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• We try not to let our 6 month watch TV... although he does notice it from time to time... and I know at daycare she puts in baby einstien videos. While I don't think TV is good for children... I don't think something like the Einstein video's are bad.... they are similar to a mobile really with the music and colorful images.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:40 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It's not going to hurt a baby to watch TV or to NOT watch it. The only time it becomes a problem is if a kid will ONLY watch TV and not do anything else (addicted couch potato)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I never had my son watch T.V. but one day when he was really upset and just fussy I put in a baby einstein video and he calmed down right away. Now if he's laying on a blanket and I put it in, he'll roll over onto his tummy and lift his head to watch it. He used to hate being on his stomach but now he'll stay on his stomach for a half an hour, lifting his head and chest to watch. So, now I'm happy I introduced him to it! He'll only watch a half hour at the most and that's not everyday. So i'm not too worried.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2009