2 month old getting water

Ok, so my parents flew in on Friday. Last night, because my daughter hadn't had a BM, they wanted to giver her water. I said no because the pediatrician said babies shouldn't have water before the age of 6 months.
Of course my parents go on about how they gave it to me and my brother, and I explained, a lot of stuff changed over the last 25years.
Went to lay down last night, napped for 30 minutes, got up and was told that they gave her 4oz of water...OMG I was pissed
Ended up in a big argument, my step mom leaving and my father telling me I didn't care about my daughter and he cares more for her than I do...

First off, no one if going to care more about your child than you do...Second, would anyone else be mad if this happened?

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 8:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hell yeah I'd be pissed! One of the reasons you don't give them water (especially THAT much) is because they full off of water and there is no nutrition in it. She gets all the water she needs from either breastmilk or the water off of formula!

Don't feel bad! I'd be so pissed as well! 1oz I could probably live with, but not 4!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• That was wrong for them to give her water AFTER you said not to. They don't need it at the age anyway. If they want to be pissed and storm out like little children, so be it! It is also wrong for your father to say what he did and IMO they both owe you an apology.

Yes I would have been pissed and gone off on them parent or not.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i wud be mad if sumone went behind my back about my kid..... however they might be right, all kids have their own different tolerance levels, my first kid , we had to give him more water in his formula mix cos he was always getting hard stools, the doc and midwife were anti this, but my baby was better for it and he still put wieght on, wats the harm in alittle water, try it for a few days and c. but you are right to be mad about them going behind your back...very naughty.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 8:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• First off yes I would be upset they should not have taken it upon themselves to do something you didnt agree with. Second has she had a bm? the water really could help. I wouldnt give her 4oz 1 or 2 should help, i gave my son some water every few days when he was having problems pooing.
    let me just say its normal for them to go a day or more sometimes not pooing, as long as she is not screaming all he time and if so talk to your doc.
    rub her belly and move her legs up and down to help loosin her up.
    hope you work things out with your parents im sure they meant well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Not all babies poop every day. Damn straight I'd be pissed! They wouldn't be spending much time with my kids if they did that.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• No, she hasn't had a BM yet. She's on formula and has a BM every day and a half, sometimes everyday if lucky. But she isn't constipated. Just a happy bouncy 2 month old.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think I would be mad only because you told them that you didn't want her to have any water. I wouldn't be mad just because the gave her water though... large amounts can be bad, but 4 oz is unlikely to cause any problems.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• my son went 3 days with no bm and he was very happy also, she will be ok.
    im so sorry you went through that with your parents they owe you an apology.
    and i would make that clear. good luck to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• AmiJanell, not to pick a fight, but 4 oz of water could fill up that baby, and at the next feeding time, she might still be too full from the water to eat. It's not the end of the world, but it could pose a problem. And you're right. The fact that they completely ignored mom's wishes is shitty.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Yeah,I would be mad about them doing it after you said no.But the baby having water is no big deal.
    nikkiJ86

Answer by nikkiJ86 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2009