online accounts

what is the best and safest online savings account? i have some money i want to put away without hubby knowing, but i'm not sure where to start. before you bash me -- the money saved will be for BOTH OF US eventually, i'm not being mean and stashing money for any other eason other than i won't be able to save it if it's readily available. and i don't want him to know, so i can't get any statements sent here. believe me, he will be so happy in a year or so when he finds out we have money saved for a vacation or whatever.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• We use INGdirect. It is an online bank and they pay higher interest rates because they don't have "walls". It is a safe and established online bank.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I use BofA and do everything online with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I use TD Bank (formerly Commerce), no problems here!

We have joint savings, checking, and our OWN personal checking/savings accounts...."yours, mine and ours."

Actually ANY banking institution would have a secure server to manage your accounts with. You know it's secure when in the URL address starts with "https" the "S" means secure/hacker safe.  This is also true when your order something from an online store.  Sites like cafemom that only have the "http" prefix in the URL are NOT secure sites-but then they do not contain "critical" information.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I have been usuing PayPal for 2 yeas now and LOVE it. I can store money there as a hiding spot, or I can use it for shopping. It is also the only way I have been able to shop on the internet without companies getting my information and helping themselves to my account. I recommend them to everyone. I also love that there are no fees or anything.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Ive had PayPal for a long time as well and it works great.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 9:20 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Most places what a mailing address when you sign up. I'd suggest a post office box and then go with Bank of America - where your money is safe!
    Whatever you do stay clear of TD Bank.
    They will NOT cover funds stolen from your account unless you take them to court. Our life was a nightmare while I fought with them.
    Bank of America, just makes out a report and your money is there next business day. It's wonderful.

And I won't judge. I hide money from my hubby all the time and he's always extremely happy when I surprised him with a gift or a trip or just extra money for a repair. It's no longer a surprise really, now he just expects it LOL
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I use ING Direct. Everything is done online. No mailed statements. I have mine set up as automatic deposits from my regular checking on every payday. That way I am saving but treating it as if I was paying another bill. It takes 2-3 days for a transfer to show. Once you deposit the money, you have to wait 5 business days before you can withdraw it. The less available it is, the easier it is to save.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• ING Direct - you can get your statements mailed to you. They link it to an existing checking account you have with another institution. You can set up a savings plan and make deposits when you have the money. As you have to transfer out, there is normally a couple of day delay to get your money which I love as you can't be tempted to use it for an impulse spend.
    Their interest rates are higher than most and you don't have to lock it into a CD unless you want to.
    I have been banking with them for over 10 years and used to work for them in Australia. They are worldwide and have a much lower overhead without branches everywhere.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You may have to first get a P.O. Box because they will require a mailing address. Look for a money market checking account, they pay more interest and you still have access to your money.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 10:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2009