sippy cupssss

my 9 month old wants NOTHING to do with them...he has 7-8 bottles a day and we want to break him of that many bottles. help?

connorsmommy418

Asked by connorsmommy418 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is a little early in my opinion, we did not start the transition until the child was 1 year. However, every mom/family has a different way of doing things, so...

Have you tried the soft nipple cups? Those are the ones that my daughter liked best at first. They have the same feel as the bottle to smooth the transition. Each of our kids gave us a hard time at first also until they learned to use the cup. GL

DH taught our daughter how to use a straw which taught her how to drink from a sippy. Just a thought.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 9:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• With my oldest we went through several different sippy cups before we found one he would take...or even attempt. We had good luck with the NUBY cup.

We started the process at 6 months. It took a couple of weeks to teach them to hold it and to tip it up...our hands guiding theirs...but they did catch on. Once they showed they could use the cup, we took the bottles away completely. There was no longer a need for them.

At a year, we switched to a straw cup. You could also try those. Some kid have a natural preference for them.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It is definately not to early. We started my son with sippy cups when he was 6 months old (that is the recommended age because that is when you start juice and you are never supposed to give juice in a bottle- that is what my peditrician told me) So as soon as we started with the juice I bought the sippy cups reccommended for 6 month olds (they usually have the softer spout) They all have the two handles, of course and it takes a couple of days, but my son took right too them.
    CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 9:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2009