If you exercised during pregnancy, do you think it helped in labor?

I'm 33 wks. and have been exercising pretty regularly (every other day cardio, including light handweights and squats) in the hopes that this will help me have an easier labor. A very fit friend of mine just had her first baby in a manner of hours and with no drugs. I have a hunch it had to do with the fact that she's in great shape. For those who did exercise, did labor seem easier? Recovery? Just trying to pump myself up and know that what I'm doing is helping! Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes it helps if you are fit in labour and after...its like you are building up more stamina...but i found pregnancy yoga the most helpful.... this gave me the labours i wanted and the mental and emotional strentgh to get thru it. i think mild exercise is better for getting your body to spring back into shape. dont over do it.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 8:50 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• ABSOLUTELY! I was a competitive swimmer my whole life, so naturally when I became pregnant I found swimming to be the BEST cardio and toning exercise for me--right up until the day before I delivered!

The stronger your heart and lungs are, and the stronger/more taut your abdominal muscles are, the "easier" labor will be, and especially the recovery aspect! I say "easier" in quotes, because, unless you have an epidural, you WILL feel pain! :o) But your ability to withstand the hours of "huffing, puffing and pushing" will be much easier!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:53 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I do! Although I didn't exercise I was active at work with a lot of walking and I worked till my son was born. He was born on his due date, my water broke like 5 in the morning and my contractions began immediately and I had him by 8:40. My last two I did not work and wasn't as active and I was late and had to be induced with both.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I WALKED AND WORKED MY WHOLE PREG. WITH MY LAST ONE (NO. 8 AND 41 YEARS OLD) I STARTED LABOR AT 11 PM WENT TO HOSP. AT 1 AM AND HAD HIM AT 4:15 AM... SO YES IT DOES HELP ....
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 10:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• agree, swimming is great, i wud swim 50 lengths 3 times a week.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I exercised during my pregnancies and had difficult labors but recovered quickly and got back into my clothes within a few weeks.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 11:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I exercised and labor wasn't that difficult. I was only in active labor for about 3 hours, maybe four. I was induced but they did not use pitocin. I almost asked while being stitched up when I could have another baby.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 11:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I was active with both of my pregnancies and my first son was born on his due date, I was only in active labor for about 3 hours, and the whole thing lasted from a little after 4p.m. to 935p.m. My second son was born prematurely but after my water was broken it took less than 3 hours before he was born.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2009