Do you know how to make cup cakes taste moist?

I love baking cupcakes but I can't get the little things moist. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Are they best in metal pans or nonstick pans. I don't own a silicone pan yet. It doesn't look stable. It may work. I use vegetable oil. It suppose to make it moist. If you know any thing more healthier I'd rather use than veggie oil. Please anyone that knows how to get the little cakes moist send me a message. I am best at making pies. Sometimes I want a cake.

Godswk

Asked by Godswk at 9:49 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Add pudding.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Try applesauce instead of oil. 

cm08

Answer by cm08 at 10:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i use only egg whites
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I mix oil and applesauce. I also use an electric mixer and mix for the time listed on the box or recipe. It gets them moist & fluffy.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My cousins little boy has severe food allergies. She adds 1 ingredient to cake mixes 1 can of Sprite. They are the moistest cupcakes I've ever had in my life. Good luck!
    busybee68

Answer by busybee68 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• If you use a silicone pan, you can put a cookie sheet under it to keep it stable.

Also, you may be over baking slightly which can cause dryness.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I use applesause in place of oil also. I never heard to add sprite...hmmm interesting. I'm gonna try that.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• If you're using a box mix, add a small package of instant pudding to the mix before adding the eggs, oil & water. You can replace some of all of the oil with applesauce or other pureed fruit, such as bananas. You can also replace the water with milk. Also, make sure you take them out of the oven as soon as they're done..overcooking causes dryness. Check them at the least amount of the recommended time with a touch to the top (should spring back) and a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the outer cupcakes in the pan.

If you're interested in making them from scratch, I'll post my favorite recipe. My mom got it off a Hershey's cocoa can years ago, and we've been making it ever since. Since we have a character limit, I'll put it in a new answer.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Extra-Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

2 cups sugar
    1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans (the cups 2-1/2 inches diameter) with paper baking cups. In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.

Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I usually use a box mix with pudding in it. You're going to think I'm nuts but some of the moistest cupcakes I've ever had were made using the diet soda method. You don't add eggs or oil or anything to do the cake mix, just a can of diet soda. Light sodas for light cakes, dark sodas for dark cakes. Bake like normal. This also cuts out about half the calories in your cake. You can't even tell that you made it with soda!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2009