Why does it seem as if people that are always living well never seem religious?

May be I should not say this and I will never ask a question or answer one anonymously. I am going to be true to myself and ask you this without hiding. I already know some people can be cruel, but many times I get some sincere answers.
Why do you think wealthy people or people that are financially stable, they don't seem to be very religious? Meantime, people that trust in God or whom ever they trust seem to struggle their entire life. I see people that are just always poor. I know people personally that are die hard religious. I never see there life get better. These are the people that will put there last dollar in church, praying for a miracle. I am not saying I believe this, before you jump down on me. I had someone ask me this question. I am curious what you think. Don't answer please if you are sending insults. Thanks.

Godswk

Asked by Godswk at 10:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Based upon observations...I think the answer to your question lies in one word "HOPE". People who have very little or nothing find hope within their god. If you go to a poor neighborhood you will typically find a church about every two or three blocks, the young families are looking for hope that they will be able to move beyond this area so their children may have a better life... older people are looking for hope that their children and grandchildren will be able to escape the poverty that has plagued them their entire lives.
    Wealthy people do not feel a need for hope, their money enables them to ensure the future for their children. However, there are wealthy people who do have "religion" they generally attend church in their own neighborhoods and some only on religious holidays.
    Anything more than these observations, would be speculation.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 2:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I wasn't religious at all for 8 years and those where the worst years of my life. Now that I have become religious again my life is turning around for the better.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 10:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• It doesn't seem that way at all to me.

Perhaps excessively wealthy people are worshiping "false idols" (money) and have no room for God.

Other than that I really haven't noticed religious people being any more poor than non religious people.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Actually there is truth to this.. many people who follow the way of religion are poor. I think it's because they have a better capacity for gratefulness because they appreciate big and small things since they are harder to come by. however in islam when the religion was sent down, many wealthy men converted to islam and gave their wealth to make it spread through out the land. In islam many worshippers are wealthy.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• and the wealth is not for the leader of the mosque rather it is to be spread around to the poor people. you will find that when you go to the Mosque there are always in need of money it's either to pay the basic bills, rent utilities and a meager salary for the imam (money to pay for his room and board) not for luxuries. but the bulk of the money is given to the needy and the poor. We consider the needy to be people who have at least half of what they need. We consider the poor to be those who have nothing and can't even get half of what they need. Also some monies is kept for conferences, lectures, and meals.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:20 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• The poor are not expected to give however charity is encouraged of all people since it weighs heavy on the scale of good deeds for the day of judgement. we give what we can... The mosque appreciates every penny or dollar and puts it to good use taking care of families and their needs.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 10:23 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Actually for me its the opposite. I dont know many people who dont believe in God that live well. My parents have money and they are God fearing, my in laws are the same, so are we. We arent rich by any means but we definately arent suffering like some people are. I dont think living well has to do with material things anyway. I think it has to do with faith. Having things doesnt make you happy. I know. I was raised with anything and everything I ever wanted. Things are just things. God, faith and the things that make you who you are is what makes you happy. If you look to God for THINGS materially then you will continue to have the life lesson that things dont make you happy.

Answer by gemgem at 10:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I give you props for having the balls to post this.

I have to say that reflecting on this question and thinking about the poorest areas and the poorest nations, that Christianity is a recurrent theme.

So the conclusion that I have drawn from this, is that non-religious people are far more proactive in achieving their needs and goals instead of wishing (which is what praying amounts to) that things were better.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:44 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Praying isn't wishing, it's more proactive than that. You have to do your part of the prayer. I pray, but I'm not sitting on my bum hoping it'll all come true.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 10:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Because I make a deal with the devil.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2009