could someone help me! My newborn grandaughter is having bad gas and tummy problems her mom is breast feeding

what can we do as far as eating for the mom to help baby

spizeeg

Asked by spizeeg at 12:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter just finished breast feeding. She had the same problem. I had her cut out any peppers and cucumbers but nothing seemed to work. So her Dr. suggested mylicon drops for the baby and tums for her. I worked so good luck
    Debi4Fun

Answer by Debi4Fun at 12:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• we used gripe water its great
    addiraesmommy

Answer by addiraesmommy at 1:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My daughter had the same problem. My doctors told me that she had acid reflex, and I had to use medicine before breastfeeding her that they gave me a perscription for. So if the mylicon doesn't help her, she should see her doctor.
    Ariannas_mom24

Answer by Ariannas_mom24 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• talk to your doctor but i saw a forula that helps with gas.sorry but i forgot the name of it.
    mrs.bryan835

Answer by mrs.bryan835 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• All I know is mom needs to be super careful with what she's eating cuz baby is eating it too. Ya know? Make sure mom is not using lotions or pefume on chest area. Call the pharmacist and ask what you can give baby for gas.
    Sunshine1723

Answer by Sunshine1723 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• with my youngest I had to avoid broccoli, green peppers, cucumbers, chocolate, and anything spicy. All those things gave him horrible gas. Make sure she is burping him well. In between breasts. Try some mylicon drops and if that doesn't help make an appt to see the Dr.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• my dr told me to limit my beef and dairy intake.
    sophiamom08

Answer by sophiamom08 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Formula is not the answer....that's for sure.

When my child had gas at that age, I would pump his legs back and forth, and ensure that he was burped often after feedings. It's a stage that I think most newborns go through, and they will outgrow it.

Tell her to keep up with the breastfeeding, not to quit! She's giving the best!
    Anonymous

• My daughter also had tummy problems and colic at 2 weeks. I am still breastfeeding and have determined that my daughter is allergic to the cow's milk protein thru my milk. I have cut out all dairy and milk products, and it made a huge difference. It will take about 4 weeks for all the proteins to be gone. In the meantime, I gave my daughter Colic Calm homeopathic gripe water. It's available online, and a wonderful product. Highly recommend that!!
    AlanasMom323

Answer by AlanasMom323 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• my daughter had the same problem, she cut out the caffine and the nictone , what a difference that made in the baby. if you cant totally cut it out ,cut back and see if there isa differnce. good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jul. 22, 2008