Does anyone not have Direct TV, Com cast or Dish Network and have an antenna or satellite dish that picks up local and satellite stations??? We are thinking about purchasing a dish or antenna instead of paying a monthly bill. Thanks

MommyMarjorie

Asked by MommyMarjorie at 10:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Entertainment

• I'll be interested in what you find out. We have Direct TV. As far as I know you have to have the service since signals are scrambled. I haven't heard of just being able to buy a satellite dish and getting the service.

Answer by Bmat at 10:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You will still have to pay a monthly charge for satellite and on feb 17 antenna won't work, No matter which way you go, you have to pay. You can buy the box for the antenna and not pay a monthly charge, but, I heard its not all that great.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 10:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Hard to believe someone can base an opinion on something that has not happened yet. How can it "not be that great" if the digital transition has not even taken place? It's also ridiculous to say "on Feb 17 antenna won't work" when you hook up the converter box TO YOUR ANTENNA and it's only Jan so how can someone say what will and won't work if the date to determine that hasn't come yet? I have an antenna. You can get local stations with that. The converter box should bring in more channels but I will have to answer again after Feb 17 to let you know. It's my understanding you cannot get satellite channels without paying for them.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2009

• I do know that even the conversion were to take place you could get a digital antenna. This would allow you to pick up some channels. I was mainly wondering about channels like TNN, TRU TV, A&E,Me TV, TNT etc. THank you for the informatin. I am tired of paying the satellite companies. They keep uping the rates.

I may just purchase an antenna and go with the basic channels and be done with that.
    MommyMarjorie

Answer by MommyMarjorie at 2:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• We gave up cable years ago. We use rabbit ears on the TV and it works just fine. All you will need is a converter box in feb. to make it all work right. It saved us at least 50-70 bucks a month. We still got the channel the kids wanted (PBS) and we got the news and a few other stations.
    Disneymomma3

Answer by Disneymomma3 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2009