How do I choose a pre-school for my 3 year old?

We haven't put her in pre-school yet because we couldn't afford it, but my mom has decided to help us out with the costs. How do I go about choosing one?

monroesmum

Asked by monroesmum at 10:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would ask around on which ones in the area are good. And then go visit them. You can see what it looks like, meet the teachers, maybe spend the day there with your child as a "trial run" and see if it's a good fit for her.
    I worked in a prescool/daycare for 4 years...
    Things to look for- clean, happy children, structured activities, cost, rules- some places have rules that you may not agree with... or don't have enough rules!, policies- again, things you may or may not agree with.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:55 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I agree with previous post but also ask about their curricululm. I would want to make sure it's play based with some pre-reading and language skills being taught. I would want to see their daily schedule and the type of activities they teach. One or two mornings per week would be a good start. Also, ask about the training that the teachers have.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 12:41 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I talked to parents of preschool children to see which ones i should look into. We went to visit a couple and the last one that we walked in was the one. We knew as soon as we got there. We just had that good feeling about it. You will know which one when you go and see them. We stayed at each one for a while and let my daughter interact!
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 2:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Talk to the other parents of one that you think you might like. We only have two here so I really can't help much. We like the public school one here. They get to know people of all backgrounds!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 6:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009