How to cut down the pain?

So we stopped breastfeeding yesterday and my boobs are killing me. I know it's my bodies way of say hey dummy, feed your kid!! However, we are done with breast feeding and I am proud I went four months doing it!! So please haters stay away and don't judge me for what we have found to work for our family. Anyways....what can I do for the boob pain? It's SOOOOOOOOO much worse than it was with my daughter. With her there was pretty much none. This time it's horrible and only on one side. It was his favorite side to eat from so I expected it. Tylenol isn't even touching this. Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

Navymama

Asked by Navymama at 10:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cabage leaves and cold help... motrin and Tylenol for pain.
    But what about rather than stopping cold turkey... try pumping and then slowly wean down so it's not so painful?
    I just know when I was engorged it was worse than my C-section!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• dont express or anything....they will go down eventually, its just agonising for a few days.... if they get really hot or you are worried make sure its not mastitis.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I had that when I stopped breastfeeding. What I did is a slowly stopped and did not go cold turkey. I went from 4 feedings a day at the 1 year mark then to 3 feedings and then 2 so forth. That made it more tolerable. I tried just stopping first and that did not last for long. I was in so much pain and I had to express the milk for relief. When I did it slower my body just figured out that I am slowing down on the breastfeeding.
    Good luck, I know it is not always easy!
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• AmiJanell, we tried weaning with my DD and our pedi who we adore said if you're gonna quit just cut her off. When I mentioned weaning with our son he said the same. I've gone this long anddon't want to confuse him more by giving him the boob so I'm pretty sure I want to stick to the bottle. Thanks though for your advice. I will be buying some cabbage today! I was just telling DH this morning this pain is worst then the c-section pain, a different kind of pain at least! =)

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 11:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You can alternate hot and cold packs, and use Tylenol and Ibuprofen. When I stopped BF'ing Calvin, I would express just a TINY bit in the shower (like 5 seconds on each side) to take the edge off & to help with the leaking.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'm just curious, how old is your little one? I'm nursing and thinking about cutting back/stopping I'm just worried it might be too soon. And does you little one take well to formula?
    Anonymous

• My son is 4 months old. He did not eat well yesterday at all, from when he woke up till the evening but since then he has taken the formula very well.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Motrin. Cold cabbage leaves. You should have cut down more gradually, but since you didn't, you might try pumping a few times a day, and then dropping one pump session a week. It will help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2009