How can I get my son to sleep in his own bed?

My 9 month old son will not sleep in his own bed. When he was younger he slept in his own bed with no problem, then as he got older we started letting him sleep in our bed once in a while...which eventually turned into every night (big mistake). Now we're trying to get him back into his bed and we have to let him fall asleep in our bed first and then try to quietly get him into his own (which doesn't always goes as well as planned) If he wakes up while we're putting him in he flips out and starts yelling so we have to take him back out and try all over again. The nights we are able to get him in there asleep, he wakes up all hours of the night screaming at the top of his lungs until we put him back in bed with us. Any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only thing I can think of is just to let him cry it out in his own bed a couple of times. He'll never get used to it if you let him fall asleep with you and then move him. Also, sleep with his blanket a couple times so it smells like you. your smell might comfort him.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:10 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I have been lucky with my son. He has never been one to sleep with my husband and I. With that being said, I would the crying thing. Within reason! I would put him in his bed and let him cry. It may take a few times but he will learn he cannot sleep with you and your hubbie. If he does sleep in his own bed I would be really excited and congratulatory in the morning with him. Make a big deal out of it so he knows he did a good thing.
    You guys made the habit so it may take some time trying to break it. Good luck.
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Sing to him in his bed. First rock him in the room in your arms. Then when he is comfy place him in the bed- keep singing. Eventually move further and further away. I don't think cio at this age would be the best idea... Course I base that on my own children who tend to escalate rather than eventually calm down. You also need to do a bedtime routine so his body clicks that this is what is coming. Either a bath, then story, then massage, then sleep or some variation of that. Use the same smelling products (baby vics is good) and the same order. I agree with the pp about him not getting used to it if he doesn't learn to fall asleep there. Also try a projection or motion lamp... Both my kids love theirs. It gives them something to look at and gaze off too.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 11:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Put him in his bed and let him cry until he falls asleep. Don't cave. In a few days he'll be used to it. if you don't like letting him cry on his own, then put him on his belly and pat his back, sing to him, talk to him until he falls asleep. Just keep at it and don't give up. Sleeping in your bed is very dangerous not only because of suffication, but he could roll off or worse intentionally get off and get into trouble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I have a hard time with this... I just have to say... I don't think that babies are crying to manipulate you at that age. They just want their mommy. If your instinct is telling you something- don't ignore it. That being said, singing worked for us after mine had co slept ofr a while.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 12:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2009