How long does constipation last, if he has any?

When switching from breast milk to formula, how long is it normal for a baby to be constipated? I'm not sure if my son will get constipated since this is only day 2 with the bottle, but was curious. I will be asking tomorrow at our 4 month appt. but was curious others experiences. Thanks.

Navymama

Asked by Navymama at 11:01 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal for babies to go up to a week with going poo, especially with formula. If he doesn't poo after a week, something else is up.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i was always recommended giving them juice. apple,pear, or white grape. something we do to really help push things along is half apple juice half prune juice. good luck
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 11:49 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I agree with the 1st answer... Calvin would poop every 3rd day like clockwork, but every once in a while he would go 4-5 days. He was constipated once & you could tell b/c he would whine when he was trying to push the poop out. If you're doing solids, give him a few bites of prunes... or try apple juice.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2009