cry in out bedtime??

i am on day 4 of trying this method i bath my daughter then give her a bottle and put her in her cot by this time she is tired but cries for a long time 30 to 50 mins i sit next to her cot so she can see me and everytime she stands i lay her down it still seems to take her ages to sleep on day 4 am i doing this wrong ? she was breastfeed before and slept in my bed with me....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is what *I* would do. Keep with your routine. Bath, bottle... but then rock her for a little bit until she is almost asleep. Then lie her in the crib & LEAVE the room. Let her cry for 10 minutes, then go in there to soothe her a little. Lie her back down if she's standing up, whisper that you love her and it's time for bed, and then walk back out. Repeat the process... and LISTEN to her... if she's just whimpering & still lying down, she'll most likely put herself to sleep. It WILL work, but if she sees you standing there in her room, she's going to be pissed that you're not holding her.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• she will get use it it.my son has never slept with me and he is 16 months and still crys when i put him to bed.if you know that she isnt hurt,hungry or anything else then she is fine.i know its really tough.
    mrs.bryan835

Answer by mrs.bryan835 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• You should leave the room after lying her down. Don't stay where she can see you. Crack the door and leave a nightlight. Only come in if she's crying for a while. No kid will die from crying and wow, you are right about trying to break her habit! It will get way worse if you don't. When you go in to check on her, if you have to, don't turn lights on. Just say night-night, you are fine, love ya.
    Sunshine1723

Answer by Sunshine1723 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• thnks for comments...just like to add she is 10months old
    Anonymous

• yes, you are doing something wrong. Stop letting your baby cry, it's cruel.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I started this with my daughter when she was 3 months max and it works wonders. It takes a while. But you should leave the room after putting her town and crack her door. You don't want her getting used to you always being in there and she will just soothe herself. I still to this day if she's having a bad day, let her cry for about 25 minutes and then pick her up to calm her, or give her a sippy and then put her back down. She rarely cries more than 2 minutes. But she will get used to it very soon :)
    mommy21beauty

Answer by mommy21beauty at 3:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Well those are some big changes for a little one. Cosleeping and bfing to a crib and formula....it's like going from a mansion and drinking the finest life has to offer, to drinking koolaid in the ghetto.

Of course she will be upset with the new adjustment. Do not let her cry it out, she will only learn that her parents cannot be trusted to meet her needs and comfort her.
    Anonymous

• I agree with crazysocks--don't let these other moms telling you you're doing the wrong thing get you down!
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 5:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I would now leave the room. Get her some soothing music on CD like vivaldi (violin). If she cries, go in after a minute or 2, lay her down, leave...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2008