Why is it okay to breast feed for years but not okay for a toddler to drink from a bottle as long as they do not sleep with it or constantly drinking from one throughout the day?

karen143

Asked by karen143 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• It's not IMO. 2 is the max for both.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Isnt it because sucking on the bottle is bad for there teeth & the milk corrodes there teeth. :B
    tinabeana9503

Answer by tinabeana9503 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Inever stressed about it. I had some off the bottle by 1, some not. None of them have bad teeth.

Answer by gemgem at 12:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Breast milk has something in it (can't remember then name of it now) that prevents the teeth from decaying.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• From what I understand, using the bottle once the teeth really start coming out can cause decay. Our neighbors allowed their son to continue on the bottle until after 2 yrs. old and by 4 yrs. he had to have his 4 front teeth pulled due to decay - what the dentist referred to as bottle rot.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• after age one there is no nutricianal benefit to breastfeeding. And no after age 1 I think all kids should be off both.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• after age one there is no nutricianal benefit to breastfeeding.

that's nonsense.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think either is fine. people say using a bottle hurts the childs teeth, but what about a sippy cup? the odd shape looks like it would cause an over bite.
    Taking care of your childs teeth by brushing will help with any "decaying".

Chocolate and caffeine causes cavities and decaying in adults and children. The dentist doesnt say stop eating/drinking that. Just says to brush and floss regularly.
    lunamuse89

Answer by lunamuse89 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• in my super humble opinion, both should be ended by year one as well. but that is based on my personal experience- at one my oldest and i both decided we no longered enjoyed our breast feeding time together (yes, even she stopped wanting it) and my youngest, whom I was unable to breast feed as long really didn't care where it came from as long as she was fed.She didn't even notice there were no more bottles. Every mother is different, every child is different and it is up to the mother and child to determine what should be done at what age. (the mother's who give you funny looks for giving your two year old a bottle are not perfect either- no one is)
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 4:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Pagirl- you are completely misinformed. Breast milk provides many benefits after the first year. Breastmilk changes to suit the needs of the growing child, formula does NOT. Formula will never be able to compare with breastmilk. Breastmilk will always be superior.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009