Help with congestion?

My 10 month old is very congested. She's been to the doctor and he said it's a virus. So, here are my questions. Anyone have any unique tricks for helping a baby with congestion? Also, i know there has to be moms out there that have used medicine for congestion before the required age. What was your outcome? Please don't only focus on that question. The other one is just as important!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Humidifier in the room.
    Saline drops to her nose and then suck it out with a bulb syringe.
    Elevate her crib when he sleeps and keep her more up right during the day.
    I wouldn't use any medication that isn't approved by your pediatrician.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i think there is a machine u can buy now its the size of a ear thermometer look on walmart .com i think i saw it there
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My son who is 8 weeks cold has some congestion so I proped up the head of his bassinet and put a cool mist humidifier in our room last night and that helped a great deal......maybe bring her in the warm shower with you and the steam may help her too........try saline nose drops and then suction out her nose.............thats all I can think of.........good luck and hope she feels better soon!!
    MarcRyan

Answer by MarcRyan at 11:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My daughther has this very problem as I type this. Twice a day I steam up our bathroom and sit in there with her. I then suction her out really well. At night I elevate the head of her bassinet and run the humidifier. I don't know about decongestants because she is only 5 months old and doesn't meet age requirments!! Good luck.
    Annette4797

Answer by Annette4797 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My DD had a cold a few weeks ago. We used a humidifier and sucked the boogers out with a bulb syringe (boogers such a technical word lol). I also asked her pediatrician about OTC meds and she told me that if my DD weighed a little bit more then we could use something. She said the reason that they were pulled off the market was b/c parent were overdosing their children without knowing it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Thanks for the help ladies! The only one of those i haven't tried yet is levitating one end of her crib, she's 10 months old, though and very wiggly so she'll end up at the bottom.
    Anonymous

• coala: What was the weight?
    Anonymous