Would anyone believe me if I told you my 3.5 year old read.....?

We ran to the store this morning to pick up some washing det. and when we were coming back out my dd said....."reddy ice" I said WHAT did you say, "Reddy Ice"

I turned around and there was an ice box in front of the store. I said "WHAT " again and she said "hurry up get the ice ready its COLD......brrrrrrr"

I laughed and was shocked. We thought she was reading but wondered if she was just memorizing familiar things.....

But NO ONE has ever told her that or read that to her....she did it all on her own.

I told my mother that I cant tell anyone they will think I am lying or bragging!

Have you ever seen a 3 year old read! She does know all her letters and sounds but I havent tried to teach her how to read at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yep.

My (now) 3 year old starting writing words on paper when he was 2 1/2 years. So I don't doubt it.

You won't know if she was actually reading unless you write the words out on paper and she reads it again....kind of my own check for memorizing how a word looks and knowing how to read...putting it in different print.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Time to start getting stage 1 reading books!
    And I do believe you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I believe you I was reading by age 4 and at a second grade level by Kindergarten. Get those books out Momma you are gonna have a lot of fun with her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Children And Babies are little miracles! Pure Beauty & works of Art!! They're amazing what they know how they can surprise you!! Sure I'd Beleive you why wouldn't I?? Every one has A gift! You may have found hers!! This is special, love it & enjoy!! Motherhood what A wonderful ride... Be Happy, please & Proud! I'd be... I'd be grateful too!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Yep. I read at 3 and my dd is 3 and also reads. They can learn very easily.

Answer by gemgem at 12:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• THANK YOU GUYS!!!

I am so surprized and happy!
    Anonymous

• Sure- dd spells out words in the grocery store all the time. She can read simple words, and write her name. She is also 3 1/2. Just help her along as much as you can :)
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• She probably just memorized the name of the ice from hearing you speak it. My niece does the same thing. When she about one and a half we had a baby shower for my sil and she opened a box of diapers. My niece saw the pampers name on the box and said it's diapers. She just knew that was what they were.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Of course I believe you! My 2 year old is learning his letters and their sounds. While he can not read yet, he can pick out letters in words and tell me what it is and what it sounds like. Children are very smart and willing to learn if parents would just give them some help instead of being lazy.
    Allegra360

Answer by Allegra360 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I believe you. It's not a very common thing, but I have heard of 3 year olds being able to read. That's great!
    absmama

Answer by absmama at 1:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2009