I am really worried about the expense of actually having my baby. I'm looking into medicaid to help us out with the expense, but I'm still worried about how much it's going to cost. Approximately how much does it cost to give birth at a birthing clinic, with a mid-wife "presiding"?

butterbee88

Asked by butterbee88 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• if u dont have health insurane and u apply for medicaid then it will pay 4 everything...how far along are u??...u might want 2 consider applying 4 WIC...they help u with food and formula...where do u live...maybe i can get u some info...
    JulieFrancesca

Answer by JulieFrancesca at 1:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I'm currently 5 weeks along, and I live in Billings, MT. I plan on breastfeeding, so the formula thing isn't really worrying me. Thanks a bunch though!
    butterbee88

Answer by butterbee88 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• no problem...u should first tell ur doctor u wanna apply for WIC so he'll give u a letter confirming ur pregnancy and how far along u r...they will ask u for this when u apply just be sure u really r pregnant...after that u can apply for health insurance 4 u and ur child...and apply for WIC...they will give vouchers 2 help pay for ur food during ur pregnancy..like eggs, milk, bread, cereal, cheese...after ur baby is born they will continue giving u this and add the formula...u should take the formula though...u don't know if u might have any complications and u might not be able 2 breastfeed...(it happened to my sister in law..)..or u might decide 2 use both formula and breast-milk...oh...also they ask u 4 proof of address, ur last 4 pay stubs, and proof of the amount of ur rent...i will do some research about WIC in ur area and i will get back 2 u..
    JulieFrancesca

Answer by JulieFrancesca at 1:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I don't know about the cost of a birthing center, but my mid-wife charged 40 dollars per pre-natal checkup, and $1000 for the delivery, due on the day of delivery. I do not know if medicaid will cover a midwife or birthing center, you will just have to check.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• My midwife charges $4,000. I'm SO glad she accepts medicaid. :)
    CreativeSpirit

Answer by CreativeSpirit at 2:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Medicaid paid for my son's birth in a natural birthing center and would have paid for the doula had I had one. I know that the average vaginal birth can cost about $7000, but that is in the hospital.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 5:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2008