Drying up?

I exclusively pumped for almost 7 months (1 week short). Ihave been suffering from supply issues and have tried herbal supplement and increased pumping all with no much success. Now I have decided to stop and need some info on drying up. I know that I should be wearing a tight fitting bra, to not express anymore milk. If there is anything else that I should be doing please let me know.

Asked by coala at 12:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did mine so gradual that I never noticed it was happening. My kids just started pulling away week to week and when they were done, so was I .

But I have to warn you, I kept leaking breast milk for 6 months after I was done bfeeding.

Especially in the shower when they are wam. Other than that it just happens naturally. ;)

• Use cabbage leaves to get the swelling down. Also try not to pump too often.

Answer by Babblingbree at 1:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• If you suffer from engorgement, use cold compresses instead of warm; warm increases supply.

• I'd advise you to cut out one pump session per week. It's easier on your body. NO tight fitting bras, they can cause plugged ducts, and mastitis. Cold cabbage leaves can help. DO NOT bind your breasts. Wear a comfortable bra. Not a tight one.

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Cold cabbage leaves are amazing, that was some of the only relief I got when I was engorged.

If you don't want to deal with cabbage (it smells a little after they wilt), you can wet two diapers and put them in your bra. The nurses told me that in the hospital =]

And make sure you don't let the direct stream of the shower hit them. That will make them feel better, but that will just make the problem worse.

It only took me about two weeks to dry up completely...but I only breastfed for a few days of my daughter's life (I dealt with bad depression and suicidal thoughts towards me and my daughter and such, I had to quit for both of us).

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Blah, excuse me with the diapers thing. Wet them and then FREEZE them. It'll be cold at first, but it'll feel really good once they start to thaw a little bit. Also, the diapers will absorb any extra leaking =]

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2009