Do you allow politics to blind you to the human spirit

I have many friends on different ends of the political spectrum. I do not think ones politics defines who they are although parts of who they are do define their politics. However, I would not dismiss a friendship over political affiliation. Would you not be friends with someone over party lines?

sexy_with_5

Asked by sexy_with_5 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As long as their views do not affect me, I don't care what a person's political affiliation is...just like I don't care what someones religious affiliation is...so long a they don't prosthelytize their beliefs on me. However, I HAVE found that uber liberals and religious zealots DO make it a point to invoke their beliefs in to just about every facet of their lives and interractions with others, which DOES alienate them.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• The point of friendship is to accept with love and understanding. I would not let political or religious views stand in the way of a good friend. Now that's just me...... I think it's sort of like stereotyping someone though. You assume a person will not be a good friend because of their political views. "How can that liberal or conservative nut be a good friend, look at what they believe in!?!?" It's just silly...
    AnimeMom23

Answer by AnimeMom23 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• A true friend will be there for another no matter what - including political views. However, a true friend will also not try to change you into something you are not by forcing their beliefs onto you. True friends can discuss the issues in a civil manner without going overboard, both expressing their beliefs without it turning into a huge battle or cause a negative effect in the relationship.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• As I have gotten older I have found I have less and less friends who have diff political affiliations then I do. I think mostly it is because many of the core values I have within myself conflict with what others who are of a different political view might have.

Answer by gemgem at 12:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• gemgem that's interesting. I have friends of different political views but I find that many of our core values and ideas mirror we just differ on how to get there. And I agree that you should be able to have a discussion on any topic and not let it turn into a cat fight. Hmm interesting
    sexy_with_5

Answer by sexy_with_5 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I have friends on both sides of the line. WAY on both sides. A couple of them I don't speak politics with any more, because it just turns ugly.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:11 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• someones political views never stopped me from being friends with them.. we agree to disagree, and either politely discuss our views, or we don't talk politics at all.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'm with xxhazeldovexx here. I have friends who are of all ages and all over the place on both political and religous issues. It leads to some really good debates and never escaletes into fights or hurt feelings. We all go home happy.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Not party lines - ideological ones. For example, i have an acquaintance who I am occasionally forced to interact with. He has no kids, is not married, not even any other young relatives he deals with regularly. He is convinced he knows everything about parenting, that kids should be allowed to watch whatever they want, that 14 year olds should be allowed to have casual sex no questions asked, because puberty means it's ok, and that people who want restrictions on MA tv or R movies before 7pm are just too lazy to parent. I avoid him whenever possible, yes our politics clash, but for far deeper reasons (he also believes if you are a Dem you agree w/ him on the above)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Party lines do not define my friendships, it is their character and their beliefs that matter, not what party they vote for.
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 2:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009