My daughter was born at 27 weeks gestation and weighed 1lb 10oz and 12 in long. She is now 6 months old and 8 lbs. People tell me not to worry about her growth but i just can't help it.

Otherwise she is healthy. Is this normal?

AshandJan

Asked by AshandJan at 12:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is small too (a preemie) and people always say stuff to me and it drives me bonkers. As long as she eats well and she is healthy then she is fine. Don't listen to everyone else!
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Everybody or your doctor? She is obviously going to have some delays and be behind other children her age. I have heard that in your head you should back date her age to full gestation and then compare her against children her age.
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 12:48 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• to compare her size/weight, you need to compare her to her adjusted age. What was her due date?

sounds like her adjusted age is closer to that of a 3 month old.
    Anonymous

• I think she sounds like she is doing well. My SIL had premee twins and she was also worried. Just relax and rest assured that if she is eating, sleeping, and all around generally happy then you are doing great.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 1:00 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• She sounds good to me. I had my daughter at 29 weeks and she weighed 2 1/2 lbs. She was behind in her growth until she was about 2. Now she is a perfectly healthy and smart as can be! Of course you will worry because you are a mom. Just talk to her doctor about your concerns.

StacyMarie1029

Answer by StacyMarie1029 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Oh my goodness! She has come SO far! I can understand you would be concerned, but look at the big picture...look at her CURVE on "the chart" not where a "normal" baby should be! She has come so far, she has overcome so much, she sounds like she is growing by leaps and bounds!!

Share your concerns with your doctor to alleviate some of them.....but she sure sounds like a strong little girl to me!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My baby was born at 30 wks 1 day and she weighed 3lbs and 5oz and was 16 in. long, She is now 11mo and weighs 15 lbs and is 28 in long. When they are born premature they do tend to be a little behind other babies their own age who were born on time, especially with their weight but they do eventually start to catch up. So I would not worry what other people say especially the doctors, as long as they are healthy that is all that counts.
    hydrobaby

Answer by hydrobaby at 1:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Don't look at her weight by the time she was born but to when she was supposed to be born. It could take her until about Kindgergarten age to catch up with other kids
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2009