Natural Birth ( discourged :(

I really want to achieve a natural birth. I have had back surgery and I cant imagine having an epidural put in it. I just told my friend I wasnt planning on having an epi and she was in shock looked at me crazy and acted as if I was crazy espescially because I have back problems. I told my mother she was the same way. Im feeling a little discouranged or maybe a lot. Is this really possible for me to do and at that in a hospital enviroment? I have had surgery and been in lots of pain before, in my head im thinking I can do this.. I have a dr. appt. tommrrow and im going to talk about this even though im not sure how and is he going to look at me like im crazy too??? All your answers I appreciate:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can do this!! You absolutely can! Your doctor should encourage any decision you make, as long as it is safe. Don't listen to the people who will tell you you can't, because they will only bring you down and you'll start to believe them. Just keep telling yourself "I CAN do this!"
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You can do it. If you have the determination and a high pain tolerance it is possible. Don't let everyone get you discouraged. I would take some classes and learn some breathing techniques and such.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 12:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• If your doctor looks at you as if you are crazy, you need to change doctors.

You have to follow a medically healthy and sound plan for giving birth - whatever that is - home, unassisted, schedule C, water, etc. I would not give much credence to your friend and mother, except to know that they care deeply for you and want you to be well.

Do some research on how women with your back issues have giving birth and be open with your doctor.

Good luck.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• bloody do it or try to if you want to. you can change your mind at anytime during delivery so wots the prob anyhow.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• http://www.healing-arts.org/mehl-madrona/mmepidural.htm#medical_risks_epidurals_rates

Read that. Epidurals are not safe, not for you or your baby. Neither are IV drugs. If more and more women realized the risk associated, they may not be so quick to get them.

Ignore the naysayers YOU CAN DO IT. Birth doesn't have to be painful, it will probably hurt, but it doesn't have to be "screaming bloody murder" on your back attached to machines. It can be a beautiful and empowering and sensual experience.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Look into hypnobirthing, read "birthing from within" or "childbirth without fear". Look at all different pain management techniques. I am having my baby at home, drugs wont be an option.

Have you looking into hiring a doula? They can help with pain management and making sure your birth plan is followed. Have you looked into birth centers or midwives? Hospitals are not needed for low risk pregnancies and they make having a natural birth almost impossible.
    celticreverie

• You don't need a high pain tolerance either. I know women who have low pain thresholds who give birth with no drugs because it is pain with a purpose.. :) It's a different kind of pain and it is definitely manageable. :)

Natural birth is beautiful, but if you go into it with fear or even thinking that drugs are an "option" than you probably wont make it because you can't have doubt in your mind... you need to let go of fear and find a support system that allow you to do it. :)

If you want any more info you can PM me, or join some natural birth groups on here. I am in "natural pregnancy and childbirth" and it's an amazing group of women.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• People tell you you are crazy and you can't do it because THEY CAN'T DO IT! tThey don't want to know that you are stronger than they are, that you can handle pain better than they can. If you want to do it, then don't mention it to anyone else, just do it. Then, after the birth, tell your story to all those nay sayers!
    Allegra360

Answer by Allegra360 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• If you want to do it with out and epidural than do it don't listen to them just prove them wrong. I got an epidural and will probley get it with this one but thats me. If you want natural than go with that don't let them tell you you can't do it.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I did it with all three boys. You can get a shot of pain med. Not the epidural. It only last for a short time though. I think it became easier after the first one. Good Luck !!
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2009