Sports or activities for 5 yr old boy?

My son will be 5 soon. He was in gymboree but now he is to old. He is a very active boy, who loves dirt. So he doesn't care if he gets dirty. I hope if he joins a sport or something he will make new friends and have fun outside of mommy and daddy.He wants to join wrestling but I think he might get hurt. What sports do they offer 5 year olds?

zachysmommy04

Asked by zachysmommy04 at 12:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son did tball and karate.

Answer by gemgem at 12:54 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My son and my daughter played soccor, and t-ball they also love swimming. Check with your local community center and see what they offer for the younger ones.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 12:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• taekwndo in what my son is doing..........he also does basketball and baseball............ask him what he want to try sometimes with sports its trial and error
    MarcRyan

Answer by MarcRyan at 12:58 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• my boys have done soccor since 4 as well as bowling since 5. They love it and it gets them off the couch at least twice a week for soccor and once a week for bowling.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• tball flag football soccer
    juju40

Answer by juju40 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• T ball or soccer would be the most appropriate for that age, and usually isn't too expensive.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 2:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Same as gemgem...t-ball and karate!
    Anonymous

• My 4 year old (5 next month) has done baseball and soccer.

Our local YMCA has what they call "Little Champs"...it's for 3-5 year olds and samples a variety of sports...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My son played soccer and got involved with Cub Scouts. (They can start Cub Scouts when they're 6 / first grade.)

I know your son is 5, but it's something to consider for him next year when he's a little older.

Now my son is 16 and is still very involved in soccer and in Scouts. (lol,over the years, they've both satisfied his love of dirt, curiosity, and need to be kept busy, as well as being a great opportunity for him to make friends with other boys his age).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My son likes to play rough so he'll be starting karate in June
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 5:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2009