I laugh when I'm nervous or unsure what to do. It's really embarrassing in social situations. It's way worse when I'm tired. My 4 y o thinks I'm laughing at her!

I hate it! any way I can stop it? It's really troublesome and I feel helpless, because it's that kind of laughter that you can feel in your stomach, then creeping up your chest. Starting to grin like an idiot and so forth. Sometimes I feel like a real mean person. My dd thinks I'm laughing at her and it upsets her. Taking a deep breath helps weakening it at times, but it's no guarantee. If it's real bad I excuse myself, escape to the bathroom and have a silent giggle. Why would I laugh when, for example, my dd fell and got herself a bloody knee?!? I KNOW it's a reaction I have towards stressful situations, still it FEELS like I'm bad to the bone.
Any advice is welcome!

Pucki

Asked by Pucki at 2:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2012 in Relationships

• I laugh at serious moments, its a bad thing I never been able to kick. I laughed when I found out I was pregnant even though it was no laughing matter, I'll bump you. Good luck!
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2012

• Who knows, maybe somebody on here knows a magic trick that'll help you too. Thanks for the bump! :-)
    Pucki

Comment by Pucki (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2012

• OMG! What's going to happen if I ever have to attend a funeral?

People jsut look at you like you're sort of nuts. Which is partly true, I guess ...? Please somebody prove me wrong.
    Pucki

Comment by Pucki (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2012

• I used to do the same thing. I finally realized I could stop it by replacing it with new techniques. It is just a character defect. We all have them. With practice and awareness it is easily solved. It starts with the mind and having other copeing skills to take its' place. I remember when I was on the phone and I would ask for someone then giggle ouit of habit. Or many other circumstances, it just was a stupid soothing technique I had allowed. When it is about to hit you again, pretend you are an actor or actress- get out of yourself for a moment. Replace that with something logical or force yourself to control not doing it- take a deep breath . The more you are aware and keep working it, the more control you will gain over it. Good Luck LOL. ( Just kidding but I couldn't resist ) :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 3:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2012

• No. Its emotional stability. Sometimes this happens to people who haven't learned certain coping mechanisms during a stressful event and uses laughter to during times where there should be a different reaction.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2012

• I have laughed in Church, I have laughed at funerals and at weddings. It is embarrassing. he thing you can do is try to ythink of something dead serious. BTW this usually makes it worse for me. I do it rarely now that I am old. I think my inapropriate gene finally kicked in. lol
    Darn there it goes again.
    Good luck.

As for the four year old you just need to keep reassuring her that it is not her, that mommy sometimes laughs at other things too. lol
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2012

• My 3rd oldest girl is the same way. When she was younger it would drive me insane!!!!! It took some time for me to realize that that is just the way she copes with stress. She's gotten a little better about it but even when she is trying to contain it I can still see the lift in her lips.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2012

• My bad it was the wrong wording. Its actually called emotional lability.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 7:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2012