I just can't tell what's going on.....any suggestions?

my 7 and a half month old has a rectal temp of 101.3 today. He is fussy and tired... not really eating a whole lot either. Not that he eats a lot to begin with but def has scaled down! He doesnt have a runny nose. I am trying to figure out if it's due to teething or could it be from his flu shot he got last week? Or maybe he is getting sick? He has been drooling excessivly since 3 months old. He just looks like he is in pain and uncomfortable. Any suggestions? I am praying he is not sick since he just got off antibiotics for an ear infection a week ago.

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 1:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• give him a little infants tylenol rub a little infants oralgel in his mouth and see if that helps
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Hmmm... could be many of those reasons that you're little guy is sick. My best guess would be teeth, they have been terrible for my little girl. Her top 2 teeth finally came in yesterday, but have been making her miserable for months with chewing, and gnawing, and drooling, and occassionally a fever. Also, my doc told me after the flu shot that if she got sick, it was only a coincidence and had nothing do with the shot.
    Good luck, it's so hard with these mysteries! You just wish they could tell you what's going on in their little body.
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 2:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Rectal temp is a degree higher. His temp is actually 100.3. Offer fluids and food as usual, but I wouldn't give any tylenol at this point. A fever this low is really nothing to worry about, it is his bodies first line of defense. He might be reacting to the flu shot, but after a week, I really wouldn't think so.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Yes, Children's Motrin.... It works better for fever and pain than that damn Tylenol..... Children's Motrin.... and see if he gets some rest and doesn't look in so much pain... but 101 for a small child is really nothing to be too worried about.... but give hime something.
    Kay300

Answer by Kay300 at 2:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Be careful with Motrin. All three of my kids puke on it. Motrin works better if you need an anti-inflammatory or if Tylenol can't control a fever on it's own (alternate every two hours) But it is not uncommon for kids to puke from Motrin.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• press on his tummy a lil and see if he gets antsy. maybe its gas. babies do get sick after the flu shot though. my kids r always in n out of hospitals. whe its just a fever. they say motrin for fever tylonol for pain and rotate the meds so baby doesnt get used to it.
    JV_GR82B_ME

Answer by JV_GR82B_ME at 4:16 PM on Jan. 25, 2009