Breastmilk storage....

Is it okay to mix recently pumped breastmilk with recently frozen breastmilk? I pumped this morning, and froze it, and I've just pumped again...but I only got two ounces out just now, so would it be okay to mix it with the four ounces I froze earlier??? If not, how long can I keep it in the fridge until I pump again to mix. I just feel like its a waste of a storage bag to just freeze 2 ounces when I feel like my daughter eats way more than that. I've never used a bottle with her before, I've only breastfed, so I'm not sure about the storage or usage facts!

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 2:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldn't add to already frozen. i put it in frig till i get enough to freeze it is good in frig for 8 days if pumped and 24 hrs if thawed.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 2:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• My son did not take to the breast so I pumped and he got breastmilk for 13 months. If you are not getting enough to fill a storage bag you can keep the bag in the fridge until your next pump and add to it. Once full, put in freezer. I froze my milk in glass jars/ bottles. I found it easier than the bags. This way i pumped right into the jar/ bottle that I was freezing the milk in.
    Also, when you thaw out the milk make sure you take it out with enough time for it to thaw int he fridge. Setting it on the counter and having it thaw there is not recommended.
    Hope this helps.
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 2:23 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• When I was only pumping small amounts I would save what I pumped for that day and then make larger bags to freeze at night. I would make 6 oz bags but any size would be fine.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I would put it in the fridge, where it is good for 8 days, until you have enough to add to it.

I store in the bags because they are much easier and quicker to thaw than if it's in the bottles. We thaw it by running it under warm water. It is definitely recommended to that it in the fridge, but water is fine, and takes much less time.

I freeze milk in 4 oz. portions. My dd is 6 months old, and if I'm at work for 8 hours, she eats 3 4 oz. bottles. I recommend 4 oz., because that way you're way less likely to end up wasting any.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2009