I'm not a great gardener...

But I would really like to plant a flower garden this year. I live in Washington state, near Tacoma. What types of seeds can I plant now, or when can I start planting, for Spring or summer blooms? It's still in the 20's at night and 40's during the day here. Thanks for any suggestions! I would really like something blooming by April if possible.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 2:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You could try contacting your local garden nursery. They would know better than, say, me (since I live in a completely different plant zone). You can also check online at Michigan Bulb or with some other mail order garden catalog. Perennials would be best to plant. They come up on their own every year and you hardly have to do anything with them. Good luck.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 2:36 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• The ground is likely frozen right now, so nothing, unless you want to start seeds indoors, but since you are new to it, you probably want to seed directly into the soil or use plants that you buy from the nursery. Look online for plants in your zone, or to order seed catalogues, which will also tell you what you can plant and when. The catalogues are also nice on cold dreary Winter days - since you can relax with a cup of coffee and dream through the choices. I'd recommend a combination of annuals and perennials. The annuals are quick and easy, and the perennials mainly just need upkeep care, if anything. Plant bulbs next Fall for early spring bloom through the Fall.. Some small flowering shrubs. Have fun!

Answer by Bmat at 2:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2009