How can i get my 3 year old to give up her Pacifier peacfully...?

She cant take it to school with her so she needs to get rid of it.I want it to be as smooth as possible....Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You could cut the tip off and tell her its broken:(
    Anonymous

• Do the binki fairy have her and your self gather up all the binkis and but them out side or in side at night before bed and have the binki fairy take them away to the new babies and the binki fairy leaves a speical new toy or gift. I worked great for my two year old I only had to remind her a couple of times that she gave all her binkies to the binki fairy for all the new babies.
    emmasmama06

Answer by emmasmama06 at 2:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Our boy still uses his at naps (home) and over night. The rules at school are usually pretty quickly understood - it just depends on how big of a deal it is for you. It's always worse at home......
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:20 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• my oldest daughter is 5 now, she was so attatched to her "ninny" from day one! i got pregnant when she was almost 3, so i thought for sure she needed to get rid of it before her sister came. so i explained to her when she turned 3 she would have to throw them away ALL OF THEM lol on her 3rd bday she woke up with her ninny in her mouth and walked to the garbage and put it in there! then she ran into the front room and found 2 she had hidden and threw them away too. i was proud of her. she asked for it maybe twice after that.
    pRoudMoMiie

Answer by pRoudMoMiie at 2:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• my son had a bucket full of pacifiers, until he lost them all which he understood so luckily he didnt cry for it after that he was about 3 years old
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 2:47 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Either make it clear that they are only for bedtime and naptime, that they no longer are allowed to leave the house.
    OR
    Have the binky fairy come. We did the bottle fairy recently and it's worked out very well.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• peacefully im not sure. my son i tell him we're going to be a big boy today and i take it way and replace it. i have a 5 yr old too so wht i do if he is mad and doesnt want then me and my daughter gat a candy and when he asks for one or puts his hand out i tell him to give me the passy. i'll hold both and he only gets one. once he has candy or snack i don't give it back to him. but at night my hubby likes to put him to sleep with it. i hide it from both of them
    JV_GR82B_ME

Answer by JV_GR82B_ME at 4:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I would do the 'paci fairy'. If you think it's going to be too traumatic to do them all at once, you could do them one at a time. For instance, every time a paci goes in the mail to the paci fairy, a special gift comes back! That way, it could actually be EXCITING to send the pacis away!

Whatever you decide....Good luck! You'll do what's right for your daughter, because you know her best! =)
    bamabellemommy

Answer by bamabellemommy at 4:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I just took it away from her. She did cry for 2 days, on and off. Then got over it. Then again not all kids are the same.
    Star88

Answer by Star88 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I showed my son broken things (toys, torn books,etc) for a week and then we put them in the garbage each time. One morning after he woke up I cut off all the nipples from his pacifiers and showed him they were all "broken" and we threw them away together. At night to help him find a new soother....I played music for him (a lullabye CD) and bought him a new stuffed animal that he picked out to snuggle with. He was pouty the first night but never once cried and I never from then on had any issues.....best wishes to you both!
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 25, 2009