if i have a dry sand dollar and it gets wet does it become alive again?

my son was in the bathroom and we have a lot of sea shells and stuff in there. he got the sand dollar wet and when i picked it up i thought i could feel it moving. is that possible for a sand dollar to become alive again after years of being dry?

phelpsamp

Asked by phelpsamp at 2:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Hmmmm..I wouldn't think so, but I don't know!
    Anonymous

• No, it can't. The sand dollars that people find on the beach are the skeletons of the animal. Sand dollars have spines when they are alive, but the skeletons we find on the beach have no spine on them.
    http://animals.howstuffworks.com/marine-life/sand-dollar-info.htm
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• IDK, but go to THE SCIENCE SPOT they might know. Here's the link: http://www.cafemom.com/group/93341
    LovemyQ

Answer by LovemyQ at 2:24 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I was born in Florida and kept to collecting dollars. I'm pretty sure when it dries out, it's dead. Especially if they are white or pale in color. When you find them they are usually dying anyways. That's what makes them so easy to get. I think it might just be the water filling in the tiny holes and such that you are feeling.
    lunamuse89

Answer by lunamuse89 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• its just weird though cause when it got wet, it now has its color back.
    phelpsamp

Answer by phelpsamp at 2:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• No. Sand dollars are the skeletal remains of a marine animal...closest to the sea urchin (spiny ball shaped creature). Most of the time the tiny spiny outer layer, which has a velvety texture, has worn off by the time you find the dollar, but perhaps your sand dollar had a few of these spines left, and when it got wet, it felt velvety, slippery or alive! But it's not!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009