Sharing Appliances. Am I Being Selfish? Honest Answers Needed

I'll try to keep this short. I live in a two household apartment in the bottom unit my 5 children and myself. There are two people in the upper unit. When I moved in I had the lanlord install washer/dryer hookup and had my appliances installed . I let the neighbors know that they could use them too. My appliances broke down and the guy upstairs got some from his sister that moved and couldn't take them with her. The electricity for the basment is billed to my apt. The dryer is gas and hooked up to my line. I do alot of washing all week and more times Than I can count they have put my stuff in the dryer or taken it out of the washer and dried it to get their stuff started. People touching my stuff creeps me out! So I wind up redoing everything. I turned my water heater down and am thinking about turning off the circuit breaker to the basement they always leave all the lights on. Is there a better way? I don't want conflict.

happytobeRJsmom

Asked by happytobeRJsmom at 2:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• thats a hard one, i would just put them aside and say i thank you but u have to understand...yada yada and its on my bill. if anything can we cut the cost between us, you pay 50 a month or 25 depends on u and the bill. also leave a nice note saying please turn lights off. one of my old apts i had to pay for the hall light which peopel left of ALL the time. i tried leaving the note didnt work so i un screwed the light. when neighbors said something i just said i have to pay for it so we worked something out. its hard and does get stressful when they dont work with you. good luck xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I would talk to the landlord. I had a similiar situation and the landlord handled it by sending a letter to the other tenants saying to use the washer/dryer area theyd have to pay 1/3 of the water bill and $50 a month in electricity to offset their use. They paid him and he took it off my rent.

Answer by gemgem at 2:26 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Having the landlord do it would increase tension, voice of experience here. I'd rather the people just talk to me. In this case I'd say you do the vast majority of the washing and drying, so having the use of the washer and dryer that the other tenants provided takes care of a lot of the cost of the gas and electricity, especially since you use it most. As far as them touching your stuff, it is standard procedure to take the other person's laundry out when you want to do yours. If you don't want them touching your things, then try to get your things out of the washer and dryer as quickly as possible so the other tenants don't need to remove your things. Or use the washer and dryer at times that they would not be doing so.

Answer by Bmat at 2:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Move.
    Anonymous

• well, you told them they could use your stuff. the best thing would have been to lay down some ground rules at the start. so the appliances that are down in the basement are the neighbors', since you said yours broke? i would sit down with them and work out a schedule so that you all can be happy. maybe every other day, or schedule so you can use in the morning and they can use at night. ALSO, you need to get them to help pay for some of the bills for that stuff- that's not fair for you to be paying for all the gas and water and electricity.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 26, 2009