Help sick baby

My dd is 11 months old. She is not acting her usual self. Very cranky acting tired but won't sleep. She was running 100.7 temp but after tylonal went down to 99.2. She's barely eating won't drink stuffy nose and whining like she's hurt. I've tryed comforting her but she doesn't want to be held yet screams when I put her down. Can some one please help me. This is breaking my heart to see her like this.

JerzisMommy

Asked by JerzisMommy at 2:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• It sounds like she may have pain somewhere. It's really hard to know where they hurt at this age. I always worried that there might be an ear infection or another type of infection that only a doctor could identify. You may want to see how she does tonight and decide in the morning if she needs to go to the pediatrician.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 9:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• are you using a humidifier? what about saline spray for her nose? is she over dressed?
    tatalalicious

Answer by tatalalicious at 2:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Yes yes and no. She is wearing a really light sleeper. She also hasconly had one wet diaper since 7 this morning. She normally has about 2 or 3 by this time.
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 2:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I would call your pediatrician to be on the safe side. Babies can dehydrate quickly and since she's not drinking or eating I would want her to be checked. Usually with a fever over 100 degrees the doctors want to see them. Tell them about not having any wet diapers for this amount of time. Try to get her to drink fluids. Keep us posted.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 2:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• try a nice warm bath. that always helped my dd. still does years later. if she has gas theres a gas med out there for lil ones ( i cant remember the name but its in the baby section ) that helped my son. poor lil girl. nothing hurts more then when your babys not feeling well. and you try everything. ohh also my son just liked hearing the shower running. that calmed him. and the steam would help. good luck mama xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Do not waste time having her seen. She's too young to tell you much; so you don't know if something is really wrong. Try to find out where she hurts, or try gently probing - move her arms and legs around, feel her belly see how she moves her head. It's early in the game, so this may blow over. Just hold her if that's what she needs. Her head on your chest [or daddy,etc.] is the perfect position for her mucus to drain downward and get it out of her chest, and her head. Just keep the old burp cloth around, it's graduated to a boogy rag!! If she stays sick, a good doctor will put a lot of stake in what you say, and what you have noticed. Mother's instinct is gold!!
    pilgrimmom

Answer by pilgrimmom at 3:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I called her Peru and they told me to watch her. She finally had a wet diaper but barely wet and her temp is down for the time being. I gave her a bath and that seemed to calm her down enough to take a nap. Thanks for your input I'll keep ya posted on how she is doing when she wakes up xoxo
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 3:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Oops I meant pedi
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 3:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I think it sounds like she is teething. At least, thats what it was like with my daughter when she cuts teeth. I just give her some orajel and tylenol & or motrin and give her all the lovin I can =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• And to keep her from getting dehydrated, try spoon feeding her a teaspoon or so of liquid (water, formula, whatever she will drink) every 15-20 minutes or so. It's not alot but it will help. This is what my daughter's doctor told us when she didn't want to drink or couldn't hold anything down.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2009