how do i stop my breast from leaking in between feedings

my breast are leaking in between feedings and my baby is missing out. I already think hes not being satisfied sometimes when i nurse because he acts like hes still hungry hes on both breasts for at least 15 minutes each.

tatalalicious

Asked by tatalalicious at 2:39 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• By the way, on the La Leche League website, I learned that the first milk to come out (the "fore-milk") is like skim milk, and the later milk has more of the cream in it. This has two ramifications: a baby is going to be more satisfied when he gets more of the cream (so don't worry about leaks, since they are the fore-milk) ... And also the fore-milk has more of the milk-sugar in it, so sometimes babies get gastro-enteritis (gastro-intestinal tract - itis). This irritation of their digestive lining from the sugar causes their version of diarrhea: some greenish poop with maybe mucus in it. (It's good to remember that sugar causes diarrhea in older children when it irritates their digestive tract, too). This La Leche League website is amazingly full of detailed info and advice.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You can't stop your breasts from eaking but you can minimize the mess. I use Johnsons nursing pads...
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:03 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Use nursing pads. Try not to think about nursing or leaks, because that will sometimes cause let-down, too. Let the baby nurse for as long as he likes and your supply will increase. Or if you can, I wonder if nursing more frequently would take care of some of the leak problem.

Answer by Bmat at 3:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You can't really stop it. It might stop on its own eventually. If your baby seems hungry after nursing, then nurse again. Is he coming off on his own after 15 mins, or are you timing him and stopping after 15 mins? You should nurse on one breast until he comes off on his own then offer the second breast. If he takes the second, then nurse on that one also until he comes off on his own. Occasionally, a baby will even take the first breast again after nursing both sides. This is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Don't give feedings a time limit & nursing pads can help. I like Curity brand.
    Anonymous