when to change car seats

My baby is only eight months but he is already to long and meets the weight requirement for the next size car seat but I have heard that you have to wait until they are a year old but I can't fit him in the car seat anymore? What do i do?

mom51908

Asked by mom51908 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your baby exceeds the requirements you have to get them out of that carseat and buy the next size car seat....You have to keep them rearfaced till a year AND 20lbs that is the law. They are now saying to keep them rearfaced after a year, that is the safest for your little one. We bought a converter carseat which is rearfaced till 35lbs and then you can forward face I believe till 50lbs. It was about 150 dollars....but you can find others that are much cheaper and much more expensive than that!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:05 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Most seats can be rear facing up to 35lbs! Your 8 month old is already 35lbs?

Or are you talking about taking him out of the carrier and putting him in a seat? You just get a convertible carseat which goes rear facing and switches to forward facing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:06 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• You can move him into a convertible seat now. One that rear faces, and then later, forward faces. I suggest keeping him RF to the limit of the seat (most convertible seats RF to 30-35 lbs). Legally, you can turn them FF at 1 yr and 20 lbs. They have to be both, not whichever comes first.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• If your baby has outgrown his infant seat you need to get a convertible seat. Which rear and forward faces. You need to keep you baby rear facing until at least 1 year... but it's better to keep them rear facing until they are 35 pounds.... which might be until the are 3 years old! Check out video's of crash tests on Youtube and see the difference between forward and rear facing!
    But anyway... good convertibles- First years True Fit, Britax seats, and Evenflow Triumph Advance
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2009