college and new baby?/?

So i am about to have my baby in a couple weeks and I was wondering do I hve to wait until next year to get financial aid for being a single mother(we not married yet) since taxes from 2008 is what you report to fafsa. or is there a spot where i can add my little girl???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• No, your taxes from this year-09 is where you claim your baby. You may be able to qualify for fin. aid still, I don't know your financial situation.
    Anonymous

• On FAFSA you'll report your 2008 taxes, but you also say that you have dependents this year. I'm assuming you're applying for the 2009/2010 school year. Go ahead and apply :) It's not like taxes where if you had a baby in 09 you don't report them for 08.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:33 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Yes, but if you say NOW that you have a dependent-they think that you ALREADY have a child? And technically you don't, yet. So I would wait until after the baby to fill it out.
    Anonymous

• FAFSA is typically due March 2 for the school year, will your baby be born before that?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:43 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I'm trying to remember but I think there's a line on there for being pregnant or expecting this year. Applying doesn't hurt, you should do it anyway!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:44 PM on Jan. 25, 2009