Does your teen driver feel comfortable calling you if they get in trouble?

We went to a "Alive at 25" presentation at the high school presented by the cops and local judge about teen driving. In order for our daughter to get a senior parking pass we had to go. They presented a lot of good info. So, if your kid was in trouble would they call you or would they try to deal with it themselves?

robinkane

Asked by robinkane at 8:02 AM on Apr. 17, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• lol This is one of the long-term goals that informs my parenting now, while they are young children. I consciously want to parent in ways that encourage them to rely on us, to know that our love & approval (acceptance) is not conditional, not to fear punishment/consequences, etc.
    My goal would be that they'd make good choices about who to call when they need something, whether or not it's us, and that they wouldn't be limited or constrained out of fear of anger or of punishment/retribution.
    So yeah, I definitely parent (and make choices about how to parent in response to my short-term goals at the moment) with this longer range goal in mind, now. It makes certain parenting options non-options for me, because of how they interfere with long-term goals.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:18 AM on Apr. 17, 2012

• She calls us. Her boyfriend got jumped because of something his brother did a few weeks ago and she called the cops first then us.we went and got them both. She went to a concert last summer a hour away her friend got drunk and was being a belligerent brat we went and got them as well and took drunk teen home to her parents, she was so mad at us for a long time but oh well.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:14 AM on Apr. 17, 2012

• Oh goodness, I hope so.
    We are just getting to this stage in life and hopefully everything I've been telling him the past few years has sunk in.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:27 AM on Apr. 17, 2012

• Our kids are grown. Back when they were teens it varied. Sometimes they called each other or friends, other times they called us. The kids grew up with a very large group of friends and being close in age, at times they had support from others- and avoided their grand consequences from us. They were smart enough to know that our punishments were consistent and predictable. We found out so much more after they became adults. :-) I think one of the biggest things is communication. They always knew that we would be there anytime for them or friends no matter what was going on. We were fortunate to have great communication through those years. Neither I nor SO were " innocent" as teens and young adults ourselves, so they couldn't get away with things as we could see it a mile away. For us, there were some very challenging years but we all made it through.

LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:43 AM on Apr. 17, 2012

• I hope she would call us; we talk about this quite a bit

Answer by rkoloms at 11:46 AM on Apr. 17, 2012