Induction tests?

I was due yesterday and at my last appointment my OB mentioned something about doing some sort of induction testing. What does that mean? Has anyone had it before?

tegansnowflake

Asked by tegansnowflake at 3:59 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• As long as your bp is normal & the baby is fine, you can go 2 weeks overdue before you need induction. The tests determine how likely you're able to go into labor yourself & if an induction would work or fail. Inductions can be risky & cause more problems. Just wait until the baby & your body are ready.
    Anonymous

• I never heard of an induction test but if you don't have any problems with you or the baby and your only 1 day past your due date i would just wait.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 4:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• it might be like a stress test. im not sure, ive never hear of an induction test. but a stress test is what they gave me when i went over due. they just monitor the babys heart rate and your bp. it takes about an hour and all you do is sit there with a bp cuff on and a fhm.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 4:13 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• They do a test to see how the baby will respond to contractions it's called a contraction stress test where they start pitocin and see how the baby responds to the contractions.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 4:29 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I never had it but you are not overdue until after 42 weeks so while you are past your due date human gestation is up to 42 weeks.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:31 PM on Jan. 25, 2009