What can I feed my 6yr old since hes always constipated?

ramirezji

Asked by ramirezji at 4:15 PM on Jan. 25, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I would try trial and error ...you need to find the foods that are making him constipated and then stop feeding them to him....it takes a while!! My daughter is 18 months and very sensitive to certain foods and i'm still trying to figure out what constipates her! It is a pain in the butt ....I've read everything and each thing lists different foods for constipation ...so each kid is different. To help his constipation while you are trying to figure out what constipates him make sure he has a diet very high in fiber ...wheat bread, wheat pasta, oatmeal are good. Also you can never go wrong with plenty of veggies & fruits ...(however I feel applesauce & bananas binded my daughter up.) Also I make sure she gets 8 oz of water a day and I truly feel that helps. g'luck!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 4:22 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• and I'm sorry if I confused you!
    MrsPilat

• MrsPilat is spot on with her advice, also what is his dairy intake like? Cheese really is bad for constipated kids (and adults). Apples with the peels on are fine, but if you feed applesauce or give apple juice then the fiber is not there and will cause constipation.
    Does your son like seeds or nuts? If he isn't allergic, then these are excellent for helping to get things moving.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 4:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Reduce dairy to no more than 3 servings a day.
    We give our son apple juice mixed with prune and water (to his personal taste)
    Raisins
    This is going to sound silly but popcorn helps.
    Miralax is an over the counter stool softener, NOT a laxative. You can add this to drinks and it helps them get things moving again. As you get the foods right you are able to taper off the miralax.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• I forgot about the popcorn - lol it is similar to nuts in providing roughage. Vitamin C is helpful (as per my son's dr) so tang will help if he likes it. Cherry icee always does it for me, and chocolate has a laxative quality too - - I will post more if I think of it.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 5:38 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• increase fiber. apple juice and apple's are natural laxatives, apple sauce can constipate them. avoid BRAT diet foods (banana's, rice, applesauce, toast). too much dairy is bad.
    Anonymous

• Pears help me. If I have two. I'm good to go. It might help your child.
    elainecat

Answer by elainecat at 7:50 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Dietary changes are good like people suggested above. My daughter had to have miralax every day in juice til she got regular. She is 7. Hope it helps.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Incorporate more fruit into his diet. Prunes and plums work nicely to keep things flowing.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2009